Anyone with experience using a Biopod?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by yorks, Apr 21, 2009.

1. yorks

yorks New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Hi! I'm new here, started raising backyard chickens for eggs after reading Omnivore's Dilemna and am thoroughly enjoying the experience of having them as wonderful pets (and also having delicious eggs for breakfast every weekend). I was researching composting the other day and came across this:

http://www.thebiopod.com/pages/products.html

Does anyone have experience with this? I love the idea of rapidly converting kitchen scraps into protein for the chickens in the form of black soldier fly grubs. (Though the other day, I fed my chickens a couple live earthworms and was riddled with guilt for the rest of the day. They were just minding their own business and here I come, scooping them up from underneath a rock to feed my chickens!) Anyway, before I plunk down the money for one of these, I was hoping someone here would have some experience using one and/or provide some insight as to whether or not these grubs are safe to use as food (parasitically speaking).

Thanks!

Yorks

2. HidingInTheHenHouse

HidingInTheHenHouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Never used a Biopod, but wanted to say I loved Omnivore's Dilemma.

Now I'm reading all the books by Joel Salatin. He was the pastoral farmer that the author visited in the book. He has some good stuff.

3. Schroeder

Schroeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    My buddies on the Pond Boss forum http://www.pondboss.com/forums/ubbthreads.php talk about this alot as a fish food source. Don't you give all the scraps to your chickens though? Would you have enough to feed both them and the Biopod?

4. yorks

yorks New Egg

Apr 21, 2009
    Quote:Thanks for the link to the pond forum--I'll definitely check it out to see if anyone has used the Biopod. As for the scraps, they don't seem to eat everything so I was looking into either setting up a Biopod for the grubs and/or composting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by