anyone with the hatching time quail cages?

they are very small and i'm sure people here will disagree but I wouldn't ever recommend them to anyone. i'd recommend looking into building a custom wire floored cage instead if you want something easier to clean.

I use the GQF cages. They're a similar concept. They claim 4 quail per section. My max is 3 hens.

There are 3 sections per tier/cage. I removed some center section dividers to make some compartments bigger, so I can have 4 or 5 hens with a roo.

I used to have an aviary and really liked it, but it was a lot of work. Dealing with the poop balls on the birds feed was getting to be a pain. I moved and got rid of the aviary, and went with the GQF cages. Wow did my life get easier. No more poop balls that result in foot spa treatments. Cleaning is a breeze, and the eggs are always clean.

Seen them used well by having 5 heights, each section being 3 cages. The 3 cages are cut to become one huge cage with 4-6 birds in each so more like 20-30 birds overall.

I'm sure the plastic is super easy to clean and they're efficient, but they are what they are...

Tiny and expensive. For the amount they charge I could build a basic set of cages from hardware cloth zip tied to a wire rack or pvc pipe frame. Put inside a walkin large dog kennel with added roof for maximum security from raccoons.

I have a set of hatching time cages (3 rollout and 2 brooder/grow out). I keep 5 quail per level (remove the dividers and just open it up to one big cage). Extras are outside in the converted chicken coop until dispatch time, but the main egg layers are in the hatching time cages. I don't stock anywhere near the numbers they say and I personally like them since I can just roll them out and pressure wash the whole lot when needed. I keep mine on an enclosed AZ room which has separate cooling. Quality wise I did not have any issue with their cages nothing broke, ill fitting, didn't work etc. I had 33 chicks in the brooder for 2 weeks, then split them up between both of them until 4 weeks then outside they went.

Back
Top Bottom