anyone working on a white-egg laying Easter Egger? (or other white-layer cross)

This may not be exactly what you're looking for with this thread, but Dorkings are a white egg laying breed that is cold hardy, docile and calm in temperament, and lay steadily through their lives. They don't lay the most eggs like a Leghorn might, but my Dorkings were laying almost as well at 5 years old as they did at 2 years old, and very often laid through the winter months as well. There are rose comb varieties of Dorking, but my single-combed Dorks do just fine in the winter, and I've seen minimal frostbite on even the ones with the largest combs. They're also an ancient breed that could use more dedicated breeders working with them.

Of course, they don't have the puffy cheeks of Ameraucanas or many Easter-eggers, so if that trait is a must, obviously Dorkings are not the right breed for that. But they are some of the sweetest, most gentle birds I have ever owned, and seem to check all of the other marks on your wishlist for cold-hardy white egg layers. 🙂 Anyway, that was just a thought on the subject.

I'm not a genetic expert, but using the basic dominant recessive genes the project could be easy enough. If I'm not mistaken single combs are recessive as are white eggs. Leghorn or other white egg layer x Ameraucana or EE that has a true pea comb and no brown. First gen end up with pea combs and blue eggs, but carry 1 not blue and 1 single comb gene. Next generation when paired together 25% white eggs and still 75% pea combs. Could they be on the same bird? This is where my knowledge stops because I'm not sure if the pea comb and blue egg gene are linked.

This may not be exactly what you're looking for with this thread, but Dorkings are a white egg laying breed that is cold hardy, docile and calm in temperament, and lay steadily through their lives. They don't lay the most eggs like a Leghorn might, but my Dorkings were laying almost as well at 5 years old as they did at 2 years old, and very often laid through the winter months as well. There are rose comb varieties of Dorking, but my single-combed Dorks do just fine in the winter, and I've seen minimal frostbite on even the ones with the largest combs. They're also an ancient breed that could use more dedicated breeders working with them.

Of course, they don't have the puffy cheeks of Ameraucanas or many Easter-eggers, so if that trait is a must, obviously Dorkings are not the right breed for that. But they are some of the sweetest, most gentle birds I have ever owned, and seem to check all of the other marks on your wishlist for cold-hardy white egg layers. 🙂 Anyway, that was just a thought on the subject.
I always forget Dorkings exist. I’m gonna need to get some next time I get chickens. Which could be a while away.

My EE's started laying 20 to 22 weeks old and have been great layers through the winters, plus those cheaks are adorable.

I'm not a genetic expert, but using the basic dominant recessive genes the project could be easy enough. If I'm not mistaken single combs are recessive as are white eggs. Leghorn or other white egg layer x Ameraucana or EE that has a true pea comb and no brown. First gen end up with pea combs and blue eggs, but carry 1 not blue and 1 single comb gene. Next generation when paired together 25% white eggs and still 75% pea combs. Could they be on the same bird? This is where my knowledge stops because I'm not sure if the pea comb and blue egg gene are linked.

Pea comb and blue egg gene are linked. If you want white egg layers with pea combs, you will want to get the pea comb from a breed that does not have the blue egg gene.

The pea comb/blue egg gene linkage can be in any combination:
pea comb/blue egg (example: Ameraucana)
pea comb/not-blue egg (example: Brahma)
not-pea comb/blue egg (example: Cream Legbar)
not-pea comb/not-blue egg (example: Leghorn and most other common breeds)

I once had a Black Sumatra that laid white eggs (pea comb), and some Red Shouldered White Yokohamas that laid light brown eggs (comb genetically pea + rose, but I forget whether it's called cushion or walnut or strawberry or what in that breed), and of course there are Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Brahmas, and probably a few others with pea or cushion combs that lay brown eggs.

Edit to add: I just remembered Spangled Russian Orloffs (sold by Ideal Poultry and maybe some other hatcheries.) They have a cushion comb (genetically pea + rose) and muff/beard (fluffy cheeks.) Cross a Leghorn rooster to an Orloff hen, then cross the daughters back to Leghorn again. In that generation, look for ones with the small comb and puffy cheeks, and see if any lay white eggs. If the eggs aren't white enough, cross back to Leghorn again. Repeat until you've got ones with the right comb type, puffy cheeks, and laying white eggs.

Pea comb and blue egg gene are linked. If you want white egg layers with pea combs, you will want to get the pea comb from a breed that does not have the blue egg gene.

The pea comb/blue egg gene linkage can be in any combination:
pea comb/blue egg (example: Ameraucana)
pea comb/not-blue egg (example: Brahma)
not-pea comb/blue egg (example: Cream Legbar)
not-pea comb/not-blue egg (example: Leghorn and most other common breeds)

I once had a Black Sumatra that laid white eggs (pea comb), and some Red Shouldered White Yokohamas that laid light brown eggs (comb genetically pea + rose, but I forget whether it's called cushion or walnut or strawberry or what in that breed), and of course there are Chanteclers, Buckeyes, Brahmas, and probably a few others with pea or cushion combs that lay brown eggs.

Edit to add: I just remembered Spangled Russian Orloffs (sold by Ideal Poultry and maybe some other hatcheries.) They have a cushion comb (genetically pea + rose) and muff/beard (fluffy cheeks.) Cross a Leghorn rooster to an Orloff hen, then cross the daughters back to Leghorn again. In that generation, look for ones with the small comb and puffy cheeks, and see if any lay white eggs. If the eggs aren't white enough, cross back to Leghorn again. Repeat until you've got ones with the right comb type, puffy cheeks, and laying white eggs.
My black Sumatra hen lays very bright white eggs, so they could be a good choice for them.

Not sure why you want a white laying ee as ees take forever to lay. Theirs other breeds that lay white eggs that are not leghorns
My EE are early layers, prolific layers, good winter layers, have good sized eggs, are not broody, handle my northern Pennsylvania climate beautifully, are light feeders, not prone to health issues, not flighty, and are the only breed I've ever had that never get frost bite. They are my absolute favorites, and I would never have a flock without them in it. Unfortunately, I haven't found any white-egg laying breed that matches all of the above listed qualities.

Back
Top Bottom