Anyones dog every have diarrhea this bad?

Fyi this will likely be expensive as the pup will probably be on sub-q fluids for 2-3 days.

This is why a lot of people won't take their puppies out in public until they have had at least 2 parvo shots, and some people "quarantine" their houses and don't let anyone visit without sanitizing their shoes/hands until the pups have had 2 shots and are at least 12 weeks old.

Realize if this pup was in your yard the soil can harbor parvo for a long time and infect any other puppies that come in contact with it.

Please take your receipt and GET YOUR MONEY BACK from that first vet! Or better yet sue his worthless behind! My god that was soooo irresponsible, that quack should have his license revoked! Bloody diarrhea with a horrid smell is classic Parvo! And it is deadly!

Thank god you took him to a different vet because that pup would have died!
They said he didn’t have the diarrhea yet when they took him to the first vet, just the vomiting. But yeah, he still should have done some tests or something.

Fyi this will likely be expensive as the pup will probably be on sub-q fluids for 2-3 days.

This is why a lot of people won't take their puppies out in public until they have had at least 2 parvo shots, and some people "quarantine" their houses and don't let anyone visit without sanitizing their shoes/hands until the pups have had 2 shots and are at least 12 weeks old.

Realize if this pup was in your yard the soil can harbor parvo for a long time and infect any other puppies that come in contact with it.

We quarantine the house here until pup is 16 weeks for sure. The new pup coming into the house doesn't even get to set foot in the kennels until all vaccines are done. I set up a pen across the yard for new babies. I also scrub the floors with disinfectant 3 times a day when new pups are here.

I agree about treatment being high dollar. Vaccines are cheap.

They said he didn’t have the diarrhea yet when they took him to the first vet, just the vomiting. But yeah, he still should have done some tests or something.
Just noticed he is a year old. Did he ever have a round of parvo shots?

You can buy the vaccines online and do them at home which is a good option especially for multiple pups/young dogs.

Just noticed he is a year old. Did he ever have a round of parvo shots?

You can buy the vaccines online and do them at home which is a good option especially for multiple pups/young dogs.
I think they said none of the dogs were vaccinated. Or at least this one wasn’t? But I’m not sure. They posted this yesterday I think.

He was never vaccinated. I've dealt with parvo in other dogs before and it such a horrible issue. I'm taking my other 6 dogs tomorrow to get tested and vaccinated.

Just wanted to pop on and give you some hope. I work at a small animal veterinary clinic and we have an excellent survival rate with our parvo pups! Now, that doesn't take away the fact that it is very serious, but the fact he's at the hospital receiving treatment is the best thing! I too am shocked the first Vet didn't do a parvo test immediately considering the vomiting+no vaccines--that's kind of standard protocol. But, water under the and bridge. Anyway, good luck to your and your dog!

I never vaccinated them with other shots, but I would do the rabies. I live on one acre at it's all fenced off well and my dogs have never came into contact with any other dogs. No other dogs have every came into my property that I know of.
Yesterday another of my dogs got parvo, shes only 7 months old. The good thing is they are both doing well for now at the vet. The vet they are in is such a good vet and only charges a 250 deposit and $40 a night and $10 a day for treatment. Which to me is a very reasonable price considering they have parvo.

Thank you for your encouraging words.
The good thing is it looks like my pups are making it.
I'm saddened about the first vet pretty much just taking my money. But all that matters is that my pups are okay.

Back
Top Bottom