Anyones dog every have diarrhea this bad?

thinkyesi

Songster
Oct 24, 2016
Hi, I have a 1yr old heeler that's lethargic, has been throwing up lots of clear liquid and has the worst diarrhea I've ever seen. Poor pup cant even hold it in, it just pours out of him. I took him to the vet and they gave him a nausea shot along with some nausea medicine to give him at home. But that was it. Nothing else.
I've never had a dog get diarrhea so bad that they cant hold it and the smell is the worst! Good thing is I havent seen any blood in his stool yet.
I never have him around other dogs but the ones we have at home. They are all his siblings and all look fine and healthy but him.
Here a picture of his stool on a doggie bed.
20200809_105224.jpg

I had a dog get that a time or two. It ran it's course in about a week or two. You need to stop all food for at least 24 hours, than start up with a bland diet, generally boiled chicken and rice. I would see another vet if it's continuing. Did you get a fecal done?

I'm so sorry your dog has a PARVO diagnosis.
As you already know, the prognosis is poor. You must clean and I mean clean Everything with a bleach water. Even your grass! Look up the bleach:H2O ratio for PARVO.
PARVO is highly contagious if your other dogs have not veen vaccinated. The symptoms come on quick, the treatment is very costly.
The IV fluids in ICU is just the beginning of his treatment.
The first Vet should have recognized the symptoms based on the c/o foul smelling stool!
Thar Vet is incompetent and you need to tell him as he definitely misdiagnosed your pup and sent you home. Shame on that Vet.
Bless your pups heart.

Turns out my baby has parvo:(

Please take your receipt and GET YOUR MONEY BACK from that first vet! Or better yet sue his worthless behind! My god that was soooo irresponsible, that quack should have his license revoked! Bloody diarrhea with a horrid smell is classic Parvo! And it is deadly!

Thank god you took him to a different vet because that pup would have died!

Fyi this will likely be expensive as the pup will probably be on sub-q fluids for 2-3 days.

This is why a lot of people won't take their puppies out in public until they have had at least 2 parvo shots, and some people "quarantine" their houses and don't let anyone visit without sanitizing their shoes/hands until the pups have had 2 shots and are at least 12 weeks old.

Realize if this pup was in your yard the soil can harbor parvo for a long time and infect any other puppies that come in contact with it.

We quarantine the house here until pup is 16 weeks for sure. The new pup coming into the house doesn't even get to set foot in the kennels until all vaccines are done. I set up a pen across the yard for new babies. I also scrub the floors with disinfectant 3 times a day when new pups are here.

I agree about treatment being high dollar. Vaccines are cheap.

Back
Top Bottom