Anything Else I Should Know?

YolktheQuail

Hatching
Jul 24, 2016
I recently got a female button quail, she is pretty young, but I'm not sure how young. I currently have her in an old guinea pig cage lined with newspaper. She seems to enjoy it and I added a shoebox with a hole in it so she can hide when she feels like it. She eats and drinks quite well and is very vocal. I got her some baby tears (The plant) and she lays in it sometimes. She is the size and shape of an egg (I don't know if that's important or not) but that is why I named her Yolk. She is skiddish when I pick her up, but happily runs around my room when out. She makes some noise as she sleeps, it sounds like a very soft, high pitched whistle. She poops a lot for her size but I'm assuming that's normal. She also only eats if she is sitting in her food bowl but she's eating, so I don't stop her. I read about the basics for quail care and was wondering if there is anything else I should be doing. Thank you to those who can help!

If she's the size of an egg - I assume that's a chicken egg? - I guess her head is not yet fully feathered? In which case I would roughly estimate her age to be around 3-4 weeks. But it can actually be hard to sex them that early, so if you are sure it's a female, it might be older..

You should know that quail in general don't do well alone, unless they are very tame and bonded to their owner. It's not impossible to tame a button, but I'm not sure it can be done when it's as old as yours. So I'd definitely consider getting one more - male or female, preferably the same age as her.
What are you feeding her? A game bird starter or turkey crumble with at least 24% protein would be suitable.

Back
Top Bottom