Anything else ?

Chain for hanging the lamp.

Don't use the clamp... like ever. Or if you do use it, clamp it to something that it can also be tied to.

Babies came yesterday! boy are they WILD little critters! and NOISY!!! they are definately not on a normal schedule, nocturnal little buggers, sleeping all day, cheeping all night, lol. But CUTIES!!!

47216_chicks.jpg

47216_chicks2.jpg

OUR FAVORITE, AND THE SMALLEST OF THE BUNCH. MY SON IN THE BACKGROUND WAITING PATIENTLY TO GET A BETTER LOOK AT THEM

47216_chicks3.jpg

not real good pics, but i couldnt help myself. My dig. camera is on the fritz, so i used my Blackberry. Just not the same....

So one of these chicks has a little "crusty" spot on its back/shoulder. I thought it could have been a little leftover egg goo? The chicks fully hatched less than 12hrs before I got them. Im a newbie so IDK. I let it go, and today I tried to get a better look at it, and saw it wasnt goo, but more like a scabby featherless spot. (S)he is picking and scratching at it. Its not bleeding, and its not getting picked at by the other chicks as far as I can tell (i cant stop looking at them
big_smile.png
) Do I need to watch it closely? do I need to put anything on it? do I need to try to wash it to make sure it isnt goo and wont wipe off? I didnt want to get the chick wet/cold. Or should I just let it be and hope (s)he'll grow some feathers there eventually and it will be ok? It seems like a bit of a "hot spot" that is itchy to this little bitty

One thing that we hadn't thought of until I read on another thread was an extra bulb for our heat lamp, just in case the one I was using broke or "blew" after the stores closed. I haven't had to use it yet but I sure feel better having a backup bulb.

I had 2 thermometors in the brooder one happened to be a wireless transmitter that I could monitor from another room. All that did was make me panic everytime the temp fluctuated.
barnie.gif
It usually turned out to be that the chicks had just scratched it too far from the heat source. I finally started going off of how the chicks looked and acted in the brooder. If they were milling around and content that gave me a better feeling than the actual temp. did.

Back
Top Bottom