Anything for swelling and pain?

I recommend looking for a way to prevent frostbite. You rooster has it, so others are suffering from the same cold. Get a safe heat source, seal any drafts, make sure there is adequate ventilation in the coop, keep it dry-remove waterers, keep poop cleaned up.
I have river sand lining the coop so poop and water removal are daily occurances, ventilation is quite open and above roost level, and he was getting applications of Vaseline when it drops to single digits, however I have not been impressed so far with Vaseline's water repelling abilities this winter. With his massive comb and wattles, he is the only one who has frostbite and its quite tough to heal with these constant melt/freeze days switching rapidly.

PRID: it’s a drawing salve that reduces swelling but can also help with things like bumblefoot!

In the future, apply Vaseline generously when it gets below freezing to his wattles & comb to prevent further frostbite.
Vaseline was being used generously, and I am not impressed with it's water repelling ability. PRID, can I get that from a feed store?? Not familiar with it, how do I apply it? Sounds interesting!

• CAUTION: Do NOT give Ibuprofin (Advil, etc.) or Acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) to birds! Those are harmful to them.
  • Buffered aspirin(such as Bayer, etc.) can be used for a chicken to help reduce:
    • Stress, listlessness, discomfort, pain
    • Fever
    • Swelling / inflammation.
      Caution:
      Aspirin thins blood and keeps it from clotting as quickly as normal.
      • You should wait until internal and external injuries have begun to heal before using aspirin.
      • Birds bruise more easily when on aspirin.
      • Aspirin carries risk of some damage to digestive system lining. The risk is higher if old, non-buffered, or broken-up pills are used; or if given in high or frequent amounts.
    • Note: A standard baby Aspirin is 80 mg, and a standard adult Aspirin pill is 325 mg.
    • Dose for chickens: Approx. 25 mg per pound of chicken's body weighteach day.
      • Examples: For a 6-lb. Large Fowl Leghorn rooster, give 1 baby aspirin or 1/4 of a regular aspirin for a morning dose, and the same amount for an evening dose ( = ~150 mg total per day).
        For a Bantam 1.6-lb. Bantam Leghorn rooster, give 1/4 of a baby aspirin for a morning dose, and the same amount for an evening dose (= ~40 mg total per day).
    • To administer:
      • To give immediately or in individual administrations: Crush up and split dose up into 2 or 3 administrations per day. Sprinkle the powder on a small tasty treat such as fruit or yogurt and give to the chicken.
      • To have the chicken self-administer throughout the day: Crush up the total daily dose and dissolve in the approximate amount of water that the chicken drinks each day. Pour into chicken's drinking container.
https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry
Awesome info! So it talks of baby aspirin, what about liquid Tylenol?

So it talks of baby aspirin, what about liquid Tylenol?
"CAUTION: Do NOT give Ibuprofin (Advil, etc.) or Acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) to birds! Those are harmful to them."

I know that ibuprofen breaks down the stomach lining really badly (humans produce an enzyme that breaks it down, I think?) and I assume Tylenol does the same.

"CAUTION: Do NOT give Ibuprofin (Advil, etc.) or Acetaminophen (Tylenol, etc.) to birds! Those are harmful to them."

I know that ibuprofen breaks down the stomach lining really badly (humans produce an enzyme that breaks it down, I think?) and I assume Tylenol does the same.
Lol, I meant any liquid aspirin. I'm not going to jump on it yet, but this is extremely helpful should I need to help out his natural healing.

Vaseline has been reported to freeze, and can make things worse. In my earlier post, there is a good link about frostbite prevention and treatment to read. The author uses the product below which she feels is better for preventing frostbite. I don’t recommend using anything, including that, Prid, or vaseline on an already frostbitten wattles or comb. They should not have anything rubbed or massaged onto them, because it can increase the damage.
1582032917535.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom