anything to force feed a chick?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
Is there anything that is safe to put on a chicks beak for it to eat? I have a chick that hatched on the 27th, well I assisted. It was peeping for over a day and when it was getting quiet I opened it. It had pipped it's membrane but hit a vein and it's beak was stuck to the membrane. It had a weird neck (maybe wry neck?) that kind of turns to the side. I have been putting an electrolyte/vitamin mix on it's beak and after it was 2 days it seemed to be pecking the food on the floor of the brooder, although I have no idea if successfully. I have also tried vit E. I don't know if we should just cull
sad.png
. I think it's yolk is almost gone and although it is slowly getting better I don't think it will figure out how to feed itself in time. Is there anything I can feed it to give it a little more time to see if it can work out the "kinks"?

Krista

Wish I had some advice. It is very hard to care for a sick newborn. Just make sure it does not get dehydrated. It should learn the eating thing on its own. I would get poly vi sol and give a drop or 2 a few times a day and keep dipping its beak in the water trying to get it to drink on its own. Do this many times throughout the day. It does not take long for these guys to get dehydrated and then its all over. Best of luck. Hope someone else comes along with some help.

I have used wet feed and they seem to like it better than dry.

You can also cook egg yolk in microwave and force feed it .

I use sugar/ electrolyte water in an eye dropper too.

good luck!

well at night I put her with the rest of the chicks, she's happy there. During the day she is in the infirmary
lol.png
I keep her in my dining room so I can give her the electrolyte/vitamin solution. She started eating again, but only if there is a big pile of food on the floors and her movements seem kind of spastic when she feeds. I am really thinking she has a neurological issue. Dh wants to give her some time to see if she becomes more self sufficient. I really want to wait but with 6 kids (ages 12-10months, with a 2 yo with autism) it is not easy to fit the time into all the extra care. I don't want to give the job to my oldest just in case we do need to cull, she would be devastated. I am just so torn, because yesterday she seemed to be declining then recovered. I will wait a couple more days and see what happens.
Krista

Back
Top Bottom