Anything we can do??(Dogs keep fighting)

Status
Not open for further replies.

KikiDeAnime

Spooky
6 Years
Dec 29, 2017
Battle Ground, WA
Note: We are NOT putting either dog down. Not ever happening!

Both our females, Mika(3yr) and Hazel Grace(2yr), have been fighting very recently due to Hazel Grace latching onto my dad after my mom passed away. Mika does not like having to share "her" human and has done fine with Hazel Grace before all this happened.
For those who don't know, Mika is Hazel Grace's mother.
Both are getting spayed soon once the vet calls my dad when the name on the waitlist is up. We've been on the list for a few months. Other places including the humane society are fully booked for spay appointments.
I've also called and talked to a few behaviorists but none have been able to help.

Besides keeping them separated,
Is there anything we can do to prevent more fighting??

It seems you know what things will help, since you're pursuing spaying for both animals (which should help) but also the old adage that "A tired dog is a good dog holds true here, too--you can do more walks/runs with the dogs every day to have more structure and exercise and to tire them out. Lastly, if there are any particular times that a fight breaks out (like on the couch watching TV), then ensure that no dogs are allowed on the couch.

Sometimes, though, some dogs just never manage to get along well with one another, and in that case the only thing to do is separating the dogs into different parts of the house and rotating time with them.

It seems you know what things will help, since you're pursuing spaying for both animals (which should help) but also the old adage that "A tired dog is a good dog holds true here, too--you can do more walks/runs with the dogs every day to have more structure and exercise and to tire them out. Lastly, if there are any particular times that a fight breaks out (like on the couch watching TV), then ensure that no dogs are allowed on the couch.

Sometimes, though, some dogs just never manage to get along well with one another, and in that case the only thing to do is separating the dogs into different parts of the house and rotating time with them.
I do take Hazel Grace for walks. Mika doesn't do well on walks anymore so nobody is able to walk her.
It only happens when Hazel Grace tries to be near my dad at any time of the day.

They could be suffering something similar to Littermate Syndrome/Littermate aggression. In normal cases it's due to puppies (from the same litter) being raised together in the same house and becoming aggressive towards each other.

In this case it's possible the mother is just tired of the puppy. After a certain point, all animals stop caring for their young. They don't have the same sense of 'family' as we do.

Spaying is definitely a step in the right direction. I hope you can find the answer to your problem soon!

I wanted to leave an update.
We found out that Hazel Grace is the who is starting all the fights. We're currently going to focus on making sure she can't get anywhere near Mika until after both are fixed

Whenever I got my 2nd Maltese, a female puppy, my neutered male was extremely unhappy. He wasn't only aggressive with the puppy, he was being aggressive with any other dog. I ended up having to put him on Prozac while he acclimated to things. I weaned him off the Prozac about 5 months later and they got along much better. He still didn't like other dogs, but he was much more tolerant. I lost him whenever he was 17 years old. He was an amazing friend. I wish you the best and hope you get them sorted soon 💜

Edited: I should have added that this is extreme and should be last resort. The original/dominate dog should be given attention first, treats, everything first. This sometimes helps things

Sometimes either two females, or two males, can't decide 'who's on first' and will just not get along. Then, rehoming one is really the best option.
Trying to make this work out involves managing whatever their triggers are, and enforcing respect for the humans as leaders.
You didn't mention their ages, and are they injuring each other, or just making noise? Is the younger dog trying to take over as #1?
Yes, the dominant dog gets everything first, as Heather mentioned. And the less dominant dog is not supported in her take over attempts, rather corrected for challenging the boss dog.
Over many years, and many dogs, we've had two situations that failed to calm down, and involving injuries. Neither time did we have small children in the house, which would have involved much faster rehoming of the newer dog. Once it was two females, once two neutered males. And actually while neutering male dogs can help, spaying female dogs, while a very good idea for their health, often doesn't reduce their inter pack behaviors.
Mary

Sometimes either two females, or two males, can't decide 'who's on first' and will just not get along. Then, rehoming one is really the best option.
Trying to make this work out involves managing whatever their triggers are, and enforcing respect for the humans as leaders.
You didn't mention their ages, and are they injuring each other, or just making noise? Is the younger dog trying to take over as #1?
Yes, the dominant dog gets everything first, as Heather mentioned. And the less dominant dog is not supported in her take over attempts, rather corrected for challenging the boss dog.
Over many years, and many dogs, we've had two situations that failed to calm down, and involving injuries. Neither time did we have small children in the house, which would have involved much faster rehoming of the newer dog. Once it was two females, once two neutered males. And actually while neutering male dogs can help, spaying female dogs, while a very good idea for their health, often doesn't reduce their inter pack behaviors.
Mary
Rehoming is never an option in this house as our pets are family and nobody would ever get rid of family.
Actually I DID mention their ages in the beginning of my first post.
So far, no injuries.
My dad thinks that because Hazel Grace wants him as "her" human, she's attacking her mother Mika over it.

Hazel Grace seems fine with her father Mooshu being around my dad though. So far, it has only been fighting between her and her mother.

Besides keeping them separated,
Is there anything we can do to prevent more fighting??

A dog that is busy sitting or staying cannot be fighting, so maybe some practice in basic obedience commands?

I'm sure it would not be a total solution, but the better they are at obeying you, the more easily you can manage the situation.

And more training can sometimes change how a dog relates to the people and the other animals in the house, which could potentially be good too.

I did somehow miss their ages on your first post, sorry. Can your father manage both of them at once? As @NatJ said, enforcing an obedience command, especially a sit or down, both of them at the same time, would be good.
No injuries so far is good too!
HG is now mature, and may now be trying to take over, and your dad will have to manage them. Any other times when they have problems with each other?
Mary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom