How do I get my new cat to gain weight?

MinervaTheHen

Chirping
Sep 30, 2022
So, I’m on a role today! I keep on commenting and asking for help on pretty much everything EXCEPT chickens!!! I guess all my other pets got jealous.
Anyway, about a week ago I got a 2yr old neutered male cat from a local humane society. He’s the sweetest thing, but apparently someone dumped him and a few other cats on the side of the road. The humane society had only had him a few days before I got him, so they didn’t have much time to polish him up from his last home.
He’s not dangerously underweight or anything, actually he looks fairly healthy, but he probably should gain some weight. I’m new to this cat thing, and I have absolutely no idea what it takes to put weight on a cat. (All my friends and family have fat cats!) Is there a special food or diet I should use?

Attachments

• B6713289-3E61-4B1B-9C18-9AA128B8105D.jpeg
    B6713289-3E61-4B1B-9C18-9AA128B8105D.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 26E9326E-12E2-426D-90C1-134CE1B32C13.jpeg
    26E9326E-12E2-426D-90C1-134CE1B32C13.jpeg
    64.2 KB · Views: 4
Have dry food out 24/7 (a good brand with little to no grain in it. It does not have to be expensive, just something he will eat)
feed 2 to 3 times a day, a quality can food.
other than that, give it some time.

BTW, don't buy huge amounts of catfood until you know what he eats.
I have had a finicky eater who would not eat anything from a can. Nothing! Not even tuna!
the bunch I have now eats anything, but you might lose a finger if you get between her and her tuna. It's a rare treat, but her favorite!

ETA
Make sure plenty of water is available. Some cats like fountains.
Especially when you offer dry food.

Last edited:
Mine gained weight because I unknowingly gave him 50% more food than he was supposed to have over the course of about a year. (Side note, for the same reason run whatever amounts the humane society gave you for appropriate food intake past your vet, so you have a second opinion. The shelter I got mine from was well meaning but not very knowledgeable, yours may be better but it won’t hurt to double check.)

BTW, don't buy huge amounts of catfood until you know what he eats.

This. And give it a good long trial run too. I tried switching mine to a different brand and shortly after I stocked up he decided he didn’t like it. 🙃 Vet got a big cat food donation not long after.

My cats are just naturally fat because they eat 24/7, 365. If the microwave beeps they make a stampede for their food... Don't ask me why, IDK. My advice is find some quality dry food he likes and have some available at all times, wet food twice or three times a day. I adopted two bony strays and fed them this way and they got very fat in no time... I'm still trying to get them to LOSE weight!

Back
Top Bottom