Anyway to diminish fluid in air cell?

I would not worry. Nine days out means that you are on about day 12? It usually takes all of 15 days for the worst saddle cells to become solid. I would try and keep it closer to 40 than 50 for the next few days.

And you would certainly know! You're like the shipped hatching eggs guru!

PS, @jolenesdad you should really fill your incubator and come hatch with us in the February hatch-a-long. :D
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/too-early-for-feb-hatch-a-long-thread.1343920/

Brinsea incubators are usually quite reliable and since you've had success with that incubator in the past it's likely some fluke from shipping eggs, which can open up all kinds of opportunities for unusual issues. I'm really wracking my brain on this one but if nobody has a better solution, if the egg doesn't release enough fluid by lockdown, I would make a tiny safety hole through the shell at the air cell and pour out the fluid before placing back into the incubator. Some people put safety holes into their hatching eggs even when they don't have an issue with fluid build up so this shouldn't pose an issue. Just be sure to increase humidity as usual once the fluid is removed so it doesn't cause the membrane to dry out.
Yes it is really odd. I have hatched several batches of shipped eggs before and never had fluid build up quite like this. I think I will keep humidity cut back until close to hatch day. I'll also candle in a few days to see if the fluid has lessened. If not, I will try what you suggested and make a hole in the shell to drain. Thank you for your help!

Yes it is really odd. I have hatched several batches of shipped eggs before and never had fluid build up quite like this. I think I will keep humidity cut back until close to hatch day. I'll also candle in a few days to see if the fluid has lessened. If not, I will try what you suggested and make a hole in the shell to drain. Thank you for your help!

Anytime! Hopefully it resolves on it's own and doesn't require any interference. I have incubated many saddle cell eggs that hatched without issue so I hope the rest of your incubation goes without a hitch! Keep us updated!

Back
Top Bottom