Anyway to get a chicken to lay??

jasonak

Chirping
13 Years
May 17, 2008
wasilla,AK
Hi
I have a trio of Mottled DUccles,really nice birds born back in sept 08.About a month ago I saw a egg in there cage and figured that they were going to start laying.I havent got a single egg since.Im feeding them 20% layer all my other chickens of the same age have been laying for monthes.Im just wondering if there is anything I might do to get them laying????
thanks

Being bantams they dont lay as much. Far as I know the only thing you need to do is provide food and a nest.

Maybe they're laying and hiding the eggs from you?
Or maybe they're eating them?

What kind of nesting set up have you got? Anywhere in the run/yard they could be hiding the eggs?

They would be about 9months right?

Hi
thanks for your replys.Yep they are right at 9 monthes.
They could be eating them but I would think I would see some shells or left overs.They are in a wire pen so they cant be laying the eggs anywhere else.I have 2x2x3 foot wire pens I use when im trying to breed certain birds,If there with the rest of the flock you dont know who the dad is
smile.png
There is no nest box in there maybe I need to put one in.I usally only add the nest box when I want the hen to hatch out eggs for me.I never thought about them eating eggs they are so tame,proabbly the tamest chickens I have,but I guess that dosent mean anything.I will put some eggs in tommorow and see if they disapear
smile.png

thanks
jason

When you put the nest in, put in a golf ball or something else egg shaped so they know to lay there.

And if it does turn out their eating them, golf balls are normally a bit of a deterrant, teaches them that those round white things in the nest arent edible.

I've heard of people putting things like mustard or other yucky stuff to stop them eating eggs.

Let me know how it goes, I'm curious... I was thinking about getting a D'Uccle

I'm wondering if moving them into the confined space may have stopped them form laying?

I know they will of course lay in small living space but I'm just saying if it was a change from what they are used to could that effect egg production?

For example... moving them from one house to another will often stop most of yoru eggs for a few days

??

Hi

The only egg they layed was in the pen they are in.They have been in there for about 2 monthes.I thought about changing pens but all of my other birds ahve done so well in these pens.But I might have to.Im putting a nezt box with eggs in it today to see what happens.

Pixie DUccles are pretty good layers for a bantam,I get a egg usally every other day from my othere Duccles,Ive got 6 diffrent colors of Duccles they are my favorite breed.

Back
Top Bottom