Anyway to harden the stool of my chickens? Recommended probiotics?

SavvySilkieMom

Chirping
Nov 27, 2019
Hi there friends,
So I am in need of a recommendation for probiotics for my chickens.
I am trying to harden their stools. They are not diarrhea per say, but are mostly very very soft and messy. I know that the strain Bacillus subtilis is extremely helpful in hardening stool especially diarrhea.
Any probiotics you can recommend that have this strain specifically?
Or have you had any luck with hardening stools for easier clean up any other way?

I know their poop is healthy and so are they, just want some easier to clean poo :)

Consistency of poop is usually from the diet. More moisture and water and you get looser poops. Also more protein will often loosen the stools.

I see I didnt know about the protein factor.
So since my chicks are on starter feed and that has more protein than the feed adult chickens get is that maybe why their poo is a bit runny?
Chicks can have looser stools. Brands of feed can affect it too. I feed all my birds an 18% protein ration. When I add extras like scrambled eggs they will get looser stools. I assume it's the protein, but it could be the water content of eggs now that I think about it more.

Do you feed anything extra? Maybe try a different brand?

I personally didn't know about grit that contains probiotics. So I'm learning something too.

First let's look at what all and how exactly you are feeding them.
Might also help to see some pics of you what you think is 'too soft'.
Not sure why anyone would think that 'probiotics' would firm up the poops<scratcheshead>

First let's look at what all and how exactly you are feeding them.
Might also help to see some pics of you what you think is 'too soft'.
Not sure why anyone would think that 'probiotics' would firm up the poops<scratcheshead>

Well Probiotics are used in humans to harden stool like opposite of a stool softener.
Its used in people with ulcerative colitis and IBS for loose stools. It produces more of a firm stool. I dont have any poo pics but I know its healthy poo based off of the famous poo chart.

I guess we will see what happens. I stumbled upon a probiotic that claims to do so, so I will update soon!

Hi there friends,
So I am in need of a recommendation for probiotics for my chickens.
I am trying to harden their stools. They are not diarrhea per say, but are mostly very very soft and messy. I know that the strain Bacillus subtilis is extremely helpful in hardening stool especially diarrhea.
Or have you had any luck with hardening stools for easier clean up any other way?

I know their poop is healthy and so are they, just t want some easier to clean poo :)

I like what bradymars says above, feed fermented oats. This would give them fiber they probably need. Another cause of loose poop is too much protein, and oats would lower that while supplying natural probiotics. Just fill a bucket half full of oats and cover with water. Your can start feeding them the next day, when they are just swollen, which increases palatability. As they bubble and ferment, their feeding value goes up and the fowl like them more. Be sure to keep water covering them and no mold or worries.

If you are raising Silkies, if they are maintenance mode most of the time—not laying eggs or molting—then 12 to 14% protein is a gracious plenty.

Back
Top Bottom