Anyway to tell if it is a hen or a rooster early on?

NicolassaH

In the Brooder
Nov 28, 2020
Anyone have any signs that have proved true to tell if the chic is a hen or a rooster? We tend to have 6 months of debate before we can tell. We usually give the roosters away or trade them for food but I would like to have an earlier start in finding them homes sooner. Last time we had about 7 roosters in the coop and it caused all types of problems.

8 weeks you can get a fairly good idea.
3 months and you should be able to tell for sure.
Ages of your birds? Photos?
Right now we only have two that aren't identified yet... will post a pic on Monday if I can but they are only 4 weeks. I am in city and don't have a good pic of them on my phone

Read this. It's the best thread or article I've seen as far as the basics.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

The problem is that each one is an individual. Some (very very few but some) I can tell at hatch. I've had some over 4 months old that I wasn't sure. You do get better with practice. I can usually say for sure that one is a boy better than I can say for sure that one is a girl, but not always.

If you post photos it helps to have one close-up of the head showing the size and color of the combs and wattles, if any. A second photo showing the legs, posture, and body shape can be really helpful. At four weeks a shot of the tail, saddle, and hackle feathers isn't going to help much but could with older chickens. In some ways it is a science but there is a lot of art involved too.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am not sure what kind of chickens we have. Here we say Creole... mixed breeds acclimatized to our area. I try to avoid the specific breeds because they are more expensive and get sicker easier. One is a Rhode Island Red I believe. But she doesn't brood. I will get some pics this week and post them when I come back down if I can't from the farm

Back
Top Bottom