Apartment Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RTRChick, Oct 10, 2008.

1. sweetshoplady

sweetshoplady Songster

Feb 4, 2008
    Venice, Florida
    I think there's a couple members who keep their chickens in their house. That's why they make those chicken "diapers". Pine shavings absorb a good bit of the smell.

I have a recuperating hen in the bathroom now and just had a broody hen in a differnt bathroom. The broody was nice because it was only once a day that she pooped. Not smelly at all (once you pick it up and take it out). Really not bad when she hatched her chicks either. They were in there for a week.

They're no messier than a cockatiel. [​IMG]

2. sis

sis Songster

Jul 16, 2008
    PA
    I would love to have my favorite hen in the house, even for a visit, my husband isn't thrilled with the idea. ...
    I never thought about planning ahead, to bring one inside if it was ill or hurt.
    your broody hen, she sat on the eggs in the coop next for 2 weeks then you moved her inside to your bathroom for the last week, was that so the other hens didn't bother her or the new chicks?
    do you know where to buy or pattern to make chicken diapers? thank you

3. rebecca10782

rebecca10782 Songster

Apr 24, 2008
    I wouldn't do it. Chickens need to be outside in the sunshine, they would be very unhappy chickens.

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with most of the posts, I wouldn't do it. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: