What you have to watch for is the breed restrictions. This is based on insurance. Lots of insurance companies have a list that they won't insure people if they have that breed on the property. It depends on where you live. Here, AllState won't insure me because I have German Shepherds and State Farm doesn't have a list, so I am with them.

Smaller breeds? They have different size golden doodles, shelters, pugs, and it of mixed breeds at the shelters that fit the Bill.

Good point about the insurance. I didn't realize it was for houses too. I do hope to eventually own so I'll have to look into that.

And thanks, never thought of smaller goldendoodles

Any other breeds I should consider?

Also when looking up Goldendoodle breeders (for fun), I am having trouble finding reputable mini ones. I mean, the ones I've found seem pretty reputable and quality but almost every one I've found charges way more for minis or super mini/toys as they do medium or standard or more for certain colors like parti or for blue eyes, etc. Which I have a real issue with. Standards seems to be easier to find more reputable ones, though of course there are still mixes. And Labradoodle and Australian Labradoodle there are a few seemingly reputable ones that health test and breeders are trying to get Australian Labradoodle recognized so they can be reputable. But obviously the Golden temperament would be nice to have.

When I lived under apartment dog size restrictions I had a beagle/basset hound mix. While it acted like a big dog and met the size requirements (about 30lbs) I would NOT recommend a hound dog for apartment life.

My aussie mix hovers around 50lbs. A border collie would have similar personality traits to some of the breeds you mentioned and under 50lbs. An australian cattle dog would top out around 30 lbs and have many of the same characteristics as well. Pugs and French Bulldogs are small breeds with big dog personalities.

I think you've gotten some good ideas from people. Consider the amount of exercise you will need to do with the dog if you don't have a yard where you can just hang out and throw a tennis ball or send the dog out on its own. I have lived in many condos with a few different dogs, and I think with a good exercise routine they can do fine, but I found I was going on walks in the rain and and snow because there was no sending them out in the yard for 10 minutes to burn some energy before the storm, or play short bursts of fetch when the weather was bad.

I own a boarding kennel so I see a few dogs

I love the Westies, great big personalities, so trainable.

Puggles are great,
Love mini labradoodles.

We had a Boston terrier for 14 years , very nice dog but really expensive to get a good one.

The thought of trying to find a non barking, trainable dog for an apartment is enough for me to get a cat! Dogs are never perfect , need lots of exercise and attention and cost lots of money .. yearly shots alone are expensive . You should save your money for a house and then get your dog because you love the breed, not because they fit into the weight limits .

Good luck

what about a border collie

I never thought of that. Don't they get big though? Or are they small? I guess they're smaller than a retriever? At least according to Google. Didnt realize they were so small.

But also wouldn't they be bored in an apartment? I know theoretically if you trained them a lot like tricks or took them to a park or something it'd be possible but I feel like it'd be easier to have a fenced yard. Maybe if I found the right apartment that was in a great location though.

I would worry that they would be too high energy though. But maybe not. Idk.

It depends on how much you’re going to be home.
If you’re going to be gone at work or school all day I wouldn’t put a border collie in an apartment.
There are probably exceptions out there but probably very few.
I would suggest a mix or a terrier.
My husband used to have a Westie that was a great dog.
My current dog is a Pomeranian/Sheltie mix. He’s 20 lbs.
He’s perfect for me.
Not a couch potato but not high energy either.
He does bark but listens when I tell him enough.
Shelties bark so much because they were used by fishermen on the Shetland Islands to bark and chase birds off of the fish drying on the beach.

Have you considered an Airedale Terrier?
They are called the king of all terriers.
I’ve never owned one but I admire them.
I’m not sure how big they get.
They were the first breed used as police dogs but then larger breeds were preferable.
They have also been used for many different types of work.

Back
Top Bottom