Pics
So I probably won't move for a while but eventually I do want to move out and I'm noticing that a lot of places even though they may say "pet friendly" will say either cats only or have a weight limit and/or breed restrictions for dogs. I'm trying to find one that either doesn't have a weight limit or has a higher one but that seems to be nearly impossible.

Anyway, I have noticed the weight limit on most places seems to be like 25 pounds or for some it is 50 but that's harder to find.

I was hoping to get a Golden Retriever, Labrador Retriever, Australian Shepherd, or English Shepherd (more uncommon breed) but those are all obviously over the weight limit, although if it was 50, it would be easier to have those breeds cause the weight would be pretty close and I could just fudge the numbers a bit.

I am hoping that I could extensively train the dog and earn it's CGC or even advanced or urban CGC and/or maybe a therapy dog certification to prove it is extremely well behaved and that maybe that would allow an exception or that if I got a puppy they would allow it to stay. It wouldn't be too hard because I love dog training and have experience.

But anyway, just in case, I am looking for suggestions of breeds under 25 pounds and maybe under 50 pounds if I find a place that allows that. We could maybe make two lists.

I know a lot of dog breeds but for some reason I can't really think of too many atm mostly because I was so set on a retriever and tbh I hate most small, yappy dogs. Granted, I realize it is the owners who baby them and not so much the dogs but still. I also don't just want a lazy couch potato, fat dog so that makes it harder. Although any dog would be great and better than no dog.

But ideally, I want a dog that is energetic enough to go on walks or hikes and/or smart enough to be trained in obedience or tricks or something. I would love to do a sport like dock diving, agility, or nose work, but that's not a requirement. Preferably one that cares about me and cares when I'm upset and/or a cuddly dog. But living in or near a city and working, I may not have time to do all the training and everything so maybe a lazy couch potato would be best after all. Idk.

Anyway, long story short, dogs under 25 pounds and/or dogs under 50 pounds that actually act like dogs and not babies?
Look at terriers. Jack Russel Terriers in particular are far from a lazy dog. They are not big, but they are energetic, playful and great with kids.

I know every dog can be an exception, and any dog can be great house pets, but overall certain breeds aren't great to keep inside, especially small apartments. And especially working breed dogs as heelers, shepherds, collies, etc. Their energy and high drive instincts keep them wanting to naturally go, go, go. Being an inside pet lap dog, their instincts are suppressed and it can cause the hyperness and behavior issues. I'm not saying that will be the case, just high chances. Of course your plans of lots of exercise will be ideal, but alot of time we as humans tend to not quite put in the time and work we plan on, lol. Some high drive and easier to train breed dogs that pair well as inside house pets are beagles, spaniels, etc. Basenji could be the perfect choice. Medium size, high drive, not to hyper, don't require near as much outdoor exercise as bigger working breed dogs, they are quiet dogs rarely known to bark, low maintenance, and they are hypoallergenic! Perfect apartment dog!

Look at terriers. Jack Russel Terriers in particular are far from a lazy dog. They are not big, but they are energetic, playful and great with kids.
I love Jack Russels and all those similar breeds :love I want one eventually! Hahah

But all that said, I actually just adopted a dog about a month ago. :love

I’m also not in an apartment atm but renting the basement of a house from my brother so I have a big fenced yard and everything. 🥰🥰🥰

I probably will move to an apartment eventually though or maybe just buy, not sure yet.

Anyway, thanks!

Also, do JRT get along with cats and small animals? Cause I have 2 budgies as well as chickens, quail, a cat, etc. and I know they can have a pretty high prey drive.
F314F6E3-0C9F-449E-9A45-686F7FE788AB.jpeg
6C3CA685-1A16-42F2-9C0F-5C7292C79934.jpeg
BA31AFBB-4828-4C58-8C45-742798B2DB82.jpeg

I know every dog can be an exception, and any dog can be great house pets, but overall certain breeds aren't great to keep inside, especially small apartments. And especially working breed dogs as heelers, shepherds, collies, etc. Their energy and high drive instincts keep them wanting to naturally go, go, go. Being an inside pet lap dog, their instincts are suppressed and it can cause the hyperness and behavior issues. I'm not saying that will be the case, just high chances. Of course your plans of lots of exercise will be ideal, but alot of time we as humans tend to not quite put in the time and work we plan on, lol. Some high drive and easier to train breed dogs that pair well as inside house pets are beagles, spaniels, etc. Basenji could be the perfect choice. Medium size, high drive, not to hyper, don't require near as much outdoor exercise as bigger working breed dogs, they are quiet dogs rarely known to bark, low maintenance, and they are hypoallergenic! Perfect apartment dog!
I never really looked into basenji very much but they sound great!! Beagles I would worry about cause don’t they bay and howl and stuff? Might not be great inside 😂 totally get the herding breed thing although they can be stimulated through training and other mental stimulation stuff too besides just outdoor exercise right? Or taught an off switch/to chill. Course probably wouldn’t be great though but I love teaching tricks and nose work and stuff too hahah but I probably won’t be in an apartment for a while if at all now.

I never really looked into basenji very much but they sound great!! Beagles I would worry about cause don’t they bay and howl and stuff? Might not be great inside 😂 totally get the herding breed thing although they can be stimulated through training and other mental stimulation stuff too besides just outdoor exercise right? Or taught an off switch/to chill. Course probably wouldn’t be great though but I love teaching tricks and nose work and stuff too hahah but I probably won’t be in an apartment for a while if at all now.
My family was a beagle breeder for many years, contrary to popular belief, we didn't have a problem with them barking much. Especially the indoor pet ones. They only time they seemed to bark excessively was while hunting of course. They can get a bit excited and barky when they see dear friends and companions coming to visit them, but as far as random barking at strangers and random noises, no. They don't have that nervous guard dog instinct. Atleast none ive ever seen do. Ive never personally owned a Basenji, but they have a great reputation for being quiet and well mannered house dogs. And as far as on off switches on working dogs (retrievers mainly), good friggin luck with that 🤣 any dog and any breed can be trained to obey commands tho i suppose, so id say yes, they just require alot more time, effort, and training. As pups, forget about it 🤣

My family was a beagle breeder for many years, contrary to popular belief, we didn't have a problem with them barking much. Especially the indoor pet ones. They only time they seemed to bark excessively was while hunting of course. They can get a bit excited and barky when they see dear friends and companions coming to visit them, but as far as random barking at strangers and random noises, no. They don't have that nervous guard dog instinct. Atleast none ive ever seen do. Ive never personally owned a Basenji, but they have a great reputation for being quiet and well mannered house dogs. And as far as on off switches on working dogs (retrievers mainly), good friggin luck with that 🤣 any dog and any breed can be trained to obey commands tho i suppose, so id say yes, they just require alot more time, effort, and training. As pups, forget about it 🤣
Huh, that’s good to know! Thanks! They didn’t howl or whatever very much either ? Interesting! They seem like great dogs. And yeah true! Probably harder with some dogs than others 😂🤣

Huh, that’s good to know! Thanks! They didn’t howl or whatever very much either ? Interesting! They seem like great dogs. And yeah true! Probably harder with some dogs than others 😂🤣
I mean they do tend to communicate through barking more than other breeds, but as far as uncontrollable excessive barking, no. It's more of a quick 1 second "argh" to get your attention, aside from uncontrollable barking freakouts when they see strangers, hear weird noises, or someone knocks on the door, like all the little yapping ankle biting small (designer) breed dogs, lol.

I mean they do tend to communicate through barking more than other breeds, but as far as uncontrollable excessive barking, no. It's more of a quick 1 second "argh" to get your attention, aside from uncontrollable barking freakouts when they see strangers, hear weird noises, or someone knocks on the door, like all the little yapping ankle biting small (designer) breed dogs, lol.
Ah okay that makes sense hahah

Back
Top Bottom