Please don't be one of those people... There absolutely is such a thing as a miniature aust

Please don't be one of these people..
No, there isn't. Australian shepherds have one size that is accepted by the AKC, that stands 18-23 inches at the shoulder. Miniature american shepherds are the same dog but a separate breed, and stand 13-18 inches. Toy australian shepherds are a 'designer breed' and are crossed wit chihuahuas. Anyone selling a 'Miniature Australian Shepherd' Isn't breeding to standard and is selling 'designer dogs'.

View attachment 2628131
This is a mini Aussie, I did take it off the internet
A "Miniature
View attachment 2628132
This is a mini American Shepard
A Miniature American shepherd is essentially the same exact thing as a mini Australian Shepherd. The AKC just changed the name and made it a "new" registerable breed because standard Australian Shepherd advocates threw a fit and looked at them as a disgrace to the breed. Much like "toy poodles."

No, there isn't. Australian shepherds have one size that is accepted by the AKC, that stands 18-23 inches at the shoulder. Miniature american shepherds are the same dog but a separate breed, and stand 13-18 inches. Toy australian shepherds are a 'designer breed' and are crossed wit chihuahuas. Anyone selling a 'Miniature Australian Shepherd' Isn't breeding to standard and is selling 'designer dogs'.
They were a thing years ago though and some people still call them that, even some breeders, even though it’s not technically “correct.” A lot of the American shepherds are the same dogs that were registered as mini Aussies before. ASDR still accepts minis. So it’s pretty confusing. Honestly I never really understood why they split into a completely separate breed instead of adding different size varieties since they are basically the same thing.

But anyway, if you’re looking for a breeder, be careful if they’re saying mini Aussie or whatever but doesn’t automatically mean they’re bad.

Toy though run far far away cause those are definitely mixed haha

What do you think about toy poodles? They are very very smart, active, usually love to cuddle, make great therapy dogs, and poodles typically love water. Yes, toy poodles can be yappy, but so can any other breed. You just have to train them right, which I know you can do.

A "Miniature

A Miniature American shepherd is essentially the same exact thing as a mini Australian Shepherd. The AKC just changed the name and made it a "new" registerable breed because standard Australian Shepherd advocates threw a fit and looked at them as a disgrace to the breed. Much like "toy poodles."
That’s so dumb to me. Size variety would have been better. Although I have heard that the MAS was originally unregistered Aussies and the foundation dog looks like a corgi mutt to me even though they supposedly didn’t mix other breeds in. I’ve seen a pic of the foundation dog. It’s a mix. So I guess they are slightly different but they look exactly the same and a lot of Mini Aussies moved over to the MAS registry.

Back
Top Bottom