Apparantly 8 wks is TO SOON!!!

I've read all the tricks and tried most of them. An RIR hen or her cousins, the Red Sex Links can be THE most dominant hens in the world. They'll even try to dominate them out in the yard where nobody is "intruding" on anybody. While people friendly to be sure, the red hens are not quick to accept just anyone into their world. They are really tough broads. (pardon the expression).
big_smile.png

8 weeks is too soon to just let them have the same space.

IF and only IF you choose to blend them this way the 8 week olds need a safe haven to run too without the bigger girls being able to go into. IF you provide this safe haven then MAYBE this would work. But just putting the 7 little ones out there is like asking for trouble. Even if they are somewhat blended as you mentioned.

The way I manage my flock is strange. I have more than 30 birds and 3 different species (guinea, ducks, chickens). I have some silkies and the rest are standard sized. The birds vary in age from 3 weeks to 9 months. I let them all range together! All day long. My meat birds mix with my pullets. My ducks hang out with the youngest chicks.

My birds are extremely tolerant and I'm beginning to suspect that socialization is extremely important. For as long as I've had my flock, I've been introducing new birds and moving my birds from brooder to brooder and even to different coops at night. They're so darn flexible. No pecking, no fighting. They go where I put them, though the younger birds 8 weeks and under prefer to sleep together. My rooster takes them all in!

The other key thing seems to be free-ranging. I suspect I wouldn't do so well if they were all in a coop together during the day. At least, not for long term.

Today my mother hen took her 2-week old chicks out into the flock of 4 other hens. It went beautifully! Mom is SO good. I am sure that having a mom hen is the way to go. I had my border collie out also (I am trying to imprint her to the chicks) and mom was vigilant - only let the dog get so close....

They have separate quarters from the grown hens, but the last few days I let the divider down and let Mom decide when to take them out.
They are under her protection and everyone knows it.

Wow. I’m sorry it went so poorly. I hope it goes better next time.

I’m also glad I didn’t read this before the weekend. My 7 1/2 wo and 2 1/2 wo free ranged together this weekend (supervised). The two flocks didn’t mingle at all the first couple of times. Yesterday, the little ones mingled with the big girls a few times. Only 3 of 8 of the big girls had “issues.” Two gave a good, hard peck when the little ones got too close. It wasn’t repetitive. Actually, it was kind of funny. After the initial peck, the little ones would stand up as on their tip-toes as tall as they could. They even ‘chest bumped’ a time or two before the little ones backed down. Again, I was right there in case it went badly. As for the third older bird, they followed it around constantly like it was mama. “Mama” didn’t care for this and would ‘peck’ after 10 minutes or so to get them to disperse. I don’t think “mama” even made contact with them. Mama is in quotes because I'm pretty sure it’s a roo! I couldn’t believe how tolerant he was of the babies.

Last edited:
thank you for all of the wonderful responses. I will try again in a couple wks or so. Also I may try taking the top hen out for a day or 2 as someone had suggested as she was the main "attacker" Thanks again, I really appreciate you BYC folks. Your awesome:love

i have some chicks that are very big and was thinking of putting them in with my two 8 month old but not sure what to do the two that live outside our very nice and very mean to each other but i am not sure how or what to do

Quote:
Love this idea, will try it. The tinyest of the serama hens is a bully. She puts everyone in line and sometimes worse, have begun to put chicks outside for a few hours aday in a bottomless wire cage, hens get used to the peeping then ignore them after awhile. Eventually, new babies roam with free range seramas though are required by miss bully to be the last to eat

This is the thread I've been looking for, except my mixing situation is a little different. I have 4 EE's that are almost 4 months old and 2 - 4 week old Salmon Fravolles. Hopefully since the age difference isn't as drastic, there won't be too many problems? Any thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom