1. Quote:Thanks--I'm just wondering if it would work. They wouldn't be insulated, though...and would be for trios or pairs of birds...

2. Quote:LOL That's pretty cool. I'd be painting mine anyway...but still a cool deal! I'm just wondering if they will be tall enough on the inside for a roost....I'm thinking for banties, it wouldn't be a problem....

3. I haven't been able to find any examples online, yet....but I'm hoping it will work...

4. hcammack

hcammack Crowing

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    This is a great Idea and I am so glad that you had this great idea nice way to separate breeds.

Henry

5. Thank you! I'm just hoping it will work!

6. cjstanman

cjstanman Songster

Jun 3, 2008
    Just north of Raleigh
    I didn't know this until I had already put together the traditional Rubbermaid-tote-as-brooder, but my husband can get these all day long for free at his work.

Bummer you're on the other side of the country or I'd hook you up! [​IMG]

7. [​IMG] Dern it! LOL My husband's grandparents have a 108 acre pear/cherry/apple orchard in Wentachee & maybe they would hook me up? I use the rubbermaid tubs as brooders, too! They are easy to clean/bleach out & come in just the right sizes. [​IMG]

8. okiemommy

okiemommy Mother of 5, Prisoner to None

May 26, 2008
    Okla-Homa
    What a GREAT idea!!! I think it would work well. All you have to do is a little tweaking of the box to make it work for you, which you are already planning to do, and you have some small coop/tractors.

heavy duty lawn mower wheels on one side with something to prop up the other side when stationary should work. Kind of like a travel/camping trailer set up.

9. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Songster

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    What a great idea! We live about 30 minutes from an area called "Apple Hill"... in fact I'm planning on a quick trip up there this weekend with a friend and her mother. Me-thinks I'll be inquiring into the availability of a bin or two. Thanks for the post... it never crossed my mind to look into those!

10. my first peepers

my first peepers Songster

Jul 9, 2008
    South Western VT
    A friend of ours has an orchard that we go to often...everytime I eye those bins!
    Would love to see pics of what you do!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: