Apple Butter Recipe Please?

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by vfem, Oct 3, 2009.

1. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I would like to can some apple butter... I have way more apples then I should have... as I over bought! [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Theres a recipe somewhere here for it..

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Haven't tried it myself, but it looked interesting!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=21566

I have to add- my sister was giving apple butter every year for Christmas, to everyone- somehow it was never quite right, but we thanked her mightily. Last year, I found out the truth- she was buying jarred applesauce, cooking it down and calling it "Homemade Apple Butter"! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Quote:thanks! I was trying to find it for them... [​IMG]

5. fasbendera

fasbendera Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Midwest
    Ball Blue Book recipe

16 med. apples (about 4 lbs)
    4 cups sugar
    2 tsp. cinnamn
    1/4 tsp. cloves

Wash apples; remove stem and blossom ends; do not peel or core. Cut apples into small pieced. Add 2 cups water; cover; simmer 20-25 minutes or until apples are soft. Press through sieve or food mill. Measure 2 quarts apple pulp.

Combine apple pulp, sugar and spices in a large saucepot. Cook slowly until thick enought to round up on a spoon. As pulp thickens, stir prequently to preven sticking. (If too thick, add a small amount of water or apple juice for desired consistency.) Ladle hot butter into hot jars, leaving, 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust two-piece caps. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield about 5 pints.

We taste it and add what we think it needs because all apples are different and all people have different tastes. My brother goes whimpy I go with the spice we both agree on not to sweet.

You can always add you can't take it out so even with this recipe add half of the sugar & spice and taste and then gradually add the rest and even more until it is where you like it. Remember that the flavors do increase I think after processing and lets call it aging.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:I edited, but ya'll will get a laugh out of this!

7. ranchhand

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Now you know why I always say "Even down deep she's shallow". [​IMG]

Sorry, hijack ending now.

8. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    lol... its ok Ranchland... sounds like my mom actually. My sister couldn't do that, as she can't even boil water! [​IMG]

I'm going to try this... I gotta do something with all this extra apples.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by