Apple Cider Vinegar for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigredfeather, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Make sure you are feeding your chickens plain yogurt with active live cultures. I make my yogurt in the crock pot over night and all it cost me is a quart of whole milk. Very easy.

The sugar and artificial flavors are not good for the chickens.

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    I just bought the plain generic brand from wal-mart. They LOVE it. They are really stuipd though, I put it out in two different bowls and I have one chick who will stand in one bowl and eat out of the other one. I think that was also the chick who tried to dust itself with the yogurt when I gave it to them the first time. The poor thing was completely covered! The other chicks were eating the yogurt off of her!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    The generic walmart stuff may be somewhat healthy to add to cooking but it is pasturized and filtered. Most enzymes were killed in the pasturizing process and the filtering took out the good bits.

1 person likes this.
  4. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    So how do you make homemade stuff? I should probally eat homemade stuff too!

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    You need some mother of vinegar or raw organic apple cider vinegar, a big jar and some apple cider.

6. yab

yab Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Yakima, Washington
    on a side note, if you're begining to drink ACV for yourself, you may want to start out small.. though all organics claim to be 5%, some are more acidic than others! i bought my first bottle yesterday, and currently am drinking it with white grape juice(can barely taste the vinegar).. but it gives me such awful heartburn

7. MissJames

MissJames Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2008
    Coastal SC
    Quote:Where do you buy Organic ACV ?

8. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Any health food store will carry it.

9. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

You can always water it down a little and throw it on a good salad with some olive oil and good spices! This is the way I get my daily vinegar! Three healthy things in one dose! [​IMG]

10. Frybaby

Frybaby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2010
    New Mexico
    I take a watermelon cut it in two clean out just enough on both halfs and fill it with plain yogurt with active live cultures and my word you better step back cause they will be flying yogurt coming at you.[​IMG] They really love it in the summer when it's warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by