Apple Cider Vinegar for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by bigredfeather, Jan 27, 2009.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I will be hatching some chicks in the coming weeks. I have been giving my hens ACV in their water for quite a while. I was wondering at what age could you start giving chicks ACV. I would think you could start at an early age, but with a lesser amount than a full size chicken.

Any suggestions or expiriences would be welcomed.

Thanks.

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    1 tsp in a quart waterer works out fine.

After a day or two when they are eating their crumbles well you can give them a dish of yogurt with some crumbles sprinkled on top. You'll have to teach them different foods and the behavior you want them to exhibit - roosting, etc.

3. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    What does the cider do for them? My chicks love yogurt but I don't know what it really does for them either!

4. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Yogurt and ACV are both to help with digestion. ACV will aslo boost the imune system.

5. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Apple Cider Vinegar, raw, organic, unfiltered (with the mother) is good for you too. It is very healthy to take tbsp a day to prevent things that might ail you. It is antibiotic, antifugal, antiviral, antiyeast etc. Just plain good for you probiotics - just like yogurt - lots of healthy little enzymes that help the good stuff in your body do its job by boosting function and immunity.

6. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:You got it! [​IMG]

MissP knows exactly what she's talking about here! I take it everyday, as well as my chickens getting it. Good stuff!

7. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    Do you just drink it straight or put it in something? It smells horrible I couldn't imagine the taste!

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Raw, organic apple cider vinegar is delicious. Shoot it. Toast and down the hatch. [​IMG]

9. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    Quote:I just drink it straight. It isn't the most pleasant thing, I will have to admit, but the benefits more than outweigh the taste! Think of it like this. When you are sick, you don't hesitate to take a cough syrup, right? Let's face it! That isn't the most tastey stuff in the world! I'd rather take a Tbsp. of ACV every night and not have to worry about getting sick. After awhile, you get used to it anyways. [​IMG]

10. derby

derby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Boonsboro, MD
    Best way to eat ACV is with a big cup of Boardwalk fries! Now isn't that healthy!

Derby

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by