Apple Cider Vinegar & Probiotic Supplement in Water

Rosanna

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 21, 2014
PA
I'm new to raising chicks and mine are 7 weeks old now. I am just hearing about adding apple cider vinegar to water now. I give my chicks some Sav-a-Chick powered probiotics from Tractor Supply and mix it in with their water each time. So it is ok to mix the probiotic powder and the ACV both in their water? Just wanted to make sure I'm not doubling up. Should I stop mixing in the probiotics and just add some ACV? Thanks!

You can do whichever you like. I stop the vitamins and electrolytes at 7 weeks and start the ACV then. It wouldn't be harmful to continue with the V&E.

I'm new to raising chicks and mine are 7 weeks old now. I am just hearing about adding apple cider vinegar to water now. I give my chicks some Sav-a-Chick powered probiotics from Tractor Supply and mix it in with their water each time. So it is ok to mix the probiotic powder and the ACV both in their water? Just wanted to make sure I'm not doubling up. Should I stop mixing in the probiotics and just add some ACV? Thanks!

The developing intestinal tract of chicks can be compromised with apple cider vinegar. Save your money on Sav-A-Chick and buy some Probios dispersible powder http://www.probios.com/powdersgranules3.html
A little goes a long way.
.5 tsp per gallon of water can be added with any vitamin-electrolyte powder you may be using. 3 days a week is sufficient during the growth period. The intestinal tract is a the core of the immune system, so upsetting the balance with unnecessary supplements such as ACV, which depletes calcium absorption in older birds, and doesn't have near the value Vitamin C has as an antioxidant and antibacterial, will only cause problems. Still the trend is perpetuated because some just "want to believe". One important aspect of raising chicks is assisting them with immunity to Coccidiosis. Some just use medicated feed, where I've found it to not have sufficient levels of Amprolium due to age on the shelf or oxidation. using Corid as a preventative in water, every three weeks, beginning at 2-3 weeks of age until they are at least 7 months greatly decreases the possibility of mortality.

Last edited:
All mine get until 12 weeks is chick feed and chick feed mush. They may get chick booster for their first week. I feel that offering anything else is preventing the chick from developing any bacteria at the amounts they need.

I am a "yearling" to the "flock habit" so I can relate to your enjoyment!

I have been giving mine ACV since they were about 4-5 months old. I didn't know about it prior to that, so maybe it was good that I didn't, if it messes up their little intestines when given too early. Now, I give them a dose about twice a week in their water which is changed daily. They are fed fermented feed (FF) first thing every morning and moistened pellets with omega-3 supplementation in the evenings.

I have really a healthy flock of over 30 birds. In a year, I have only had 1 hen with a soft shelled problem, and 1 had an eye problem during the winter. They are both well now. Having said that, I think they are doing fine with what I am doing for them. They do get regular calcium supplementation as "free choice" in the hen house. I see them eating it mostly in the evenings before going to roost. I have read that this prepares their egg factory for the next egg coming down the chute! They free range every afternoon until dusk, and put themselves "to bed" if I get tied up with other chores. Everyone loves those delicious golden egg yolks from "the ladies"!
Recently, I hatched some babies... and have 30 viable embryos due to hatch Friday.
jumpy.gif

love.gif
I love my chickens...one broody is setting a friend's duck eggs right now...who knows...
I may be a duck lover soon, too!
hmm.png

Blessings to you with your chicks!!!

Back
Top Bottom