Apple Cider Vinegar question

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by heaven1, Sep 14, 2009.

1. heaven1

heaven1 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2009
    Portland,OR
    I've read the threads about using ACV with the Mother in waterers. So I scrubbed and rinsed with a bleach solution, rinsed our 5 gallon plastic waterer and added 1 Tbs ACV for each gallon of water (I only fill it with 3 gallons so I can still carry it). No problem until I went to change the water 4 days later and there were slimmy black spots on the sides of the waterer. I repeated the cleaning process and soaked the entire waterer in a bleach solution....and the spots appeared again after 4 days. Is this normal when using ACV?

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

It can happen with it or without it. I don't know why. I wonder if it is what the plastic is made out of? I have one that does it, and one that does not do it.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    My experience is that ACV controls algae growth in waterers. However, I change water daily. I suspect you will find that most on here also change water daily, or more. The black growth is probably mold -- not good for them.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    I had the slime and black growth problem with a normal red and white waterer. I use the ACV and still had the problem. I picked up an antimicrobial dog waterer at the feed store. End of problems.

5. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Even changing water daily did not affect it in the regular poultry waterer. So I think it also might have had something to do with the water itself. Beats me...clueless really as to the cause.

6. LauraSBale

LauraSBale Chillin' With My Peeps

I use the ACV, but i have found that well water will grow things fast than soft or purified water,. what the ACV does, it high in acid and the acid helps keep down the growth, I use it because its great for the chickens health.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by