Apple Cider Vinegar

Wyandotte103

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 29, 2012
My henhouse
Hello, and welcome to the world of chickens. I thought I would make a thread for anyone out there wanting to know wether or not to use ACV. Please post links, useful info., and most of all, ask questions! My goal is to educate you on wether or not you decide to use ACV. ACV is apple cider vinegar!
pop.gif

We add ACV to the water during warm months in the plastic water container. Once we had to switch over to the double walled metal container on a heater we had to stop (ACV and metal do not go together). I started this when the chicks were young, had read it helps with poopy butt - never had poopy butt so I guess it worked. Dorothy

If you choose to use ACV, then make sure it is not in a galvanized water container. Stainless steel is fine. Also, make sure to use the raw stuff that has the mother in it. If nothing else, it should help keep the container cleaner. But some say it helps with calcium absorption and many other benefits including helping with sour crop. I have never heard anything bad about it other than it may not do all it claims and is therefore a waste of money. Most of the benefits are anecdotal, so the choice is yours. I began adding it a couple months ago figuring it can't hurt. I believe it is supposed to be about 1 tablespoon per gallon.

I started this when the chicks were young, had read it helps with poopy butt - never had poopy butt so I guess it worked.
My chicks didn't have poopy butt and I did not use ACV at the time. Just not having poopy butt doesn't mean it worked. On the other hand it is very possible that you would have had problems if you hadn't. Too hard to tell so just do what you want.

Last edited:
Just a question? how can you tell galvanized metals from stainless steel? I'm getting chicks and found these in the shed and was going to use them, NOT IF THEY'RE GALVANYZED!!

Just a question? how can you tell galvanized metals from stainless steel? I'm getting chicks and found these in the shed and was going to use them, NOT IF THEY'RE GALVANYZED!!
I don't see a picture. But the normal metal waterers that you get are usually galvanized like this one:

Edit to add: There is nothing wrong with galvanized metal waterers as long as you don't add acidic things like ACV in it.

Last edited:
I put it in my water to help with their health, it's supposed to help prevent respiratory problems, and I haven't had any problems, so I guess it works! I just get the cheap stuff, it still has health benefits, maybe just not as much as the organic, but it's a whole lot cheaper!!

Alright I didnt expect to see this thread but im glad you made it.... I started using acv a few months ago in my breeding pens not yet for the little chicks but after reading this im going to start they are the only ones i have with a poopy butt here and there but Im lucky i guess i havent had problems before acv and yet to have any now but id love to hear some before and after posts...

Stainless steel is all one color metal.. alot of times when you buy a galvanized container you can see a checkered or a flacky shiney and dull pattern if that makes sense... When in doubt judt dont do it..

Back
Top Bottom