1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Apple tree branches as roosts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by amysflock, Oct 21, 2008.

1. amysflock

amysflock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Tenino, WA
    I have a big old ladder-type roost that takes up too much interior floor space, and I'd like to remove it this weekend and replace it with poles or 2x4s or something else.

We have a bunch of old apple and fir branches in our pasture (the cows have destroyed the apple trees!)...any reason why I wouldn't be ok using a few branches fresh out of the pasture for roosts, provided they're thick enough?

Thanks!

2. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    I would say as long as they are 5-6 inches in diameter they should work. As you probably have read numerous times on here just make sure the birds can cover their feet in cold weather while roosting.

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You might want to take the bark off first, because it'll come off eventually anyhow and by taking it off right away you avoid cleanliness and mite-hiding-places issues.

Should work great, though - apple is totally nontoxic, and wide-ish tree branches work well

Have fun,

Pat

4. banter

banter Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2008
    Raymond Maine
    If they haven't been sprayed recently they should be great! We give them to our parrots because of there nutritional value.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by