Appleyards vs Harlequins

zzGypsy

Songster
8 Years
Aug 8, 2011
so I'm looking for information on the color pattern differences between Silver Appleyards and harlequins... anyone got photos they'd like to share illustrating the differences?

These are our Silver Appleyards hatched this summer

8f149d02.jpg

From what I have seen there is greater variation in appleyard pattern,.. however the color they are supposed to be and where they are supposed to have certain colors is laid down in the standard of perfection. It's the best investment someone interested in showing poultry can make.

They are a very easy going duck. They don't always like human contact, but they tolerate little hugs everyday. Only one of my girls actually makes much noise (Gabby) and is a little talk box occationally. Of cource, my runner girls make more noise.. lol.. Ahh well..

The WH are smaller, lighter in color and should have that very dark bill, which Appleyards don't have.

Appleyard ducks are much more brown in color and have faint eye stripes, like the Saxony eye stripes, but not as pronounced. The drakes have darker more intense colors than the WH have. Also Appleyard drakes have a speckled light silver color chin and throat front

Appleyards are noticeably huge big ducks. They are tall, wide, and very solid. They are also noticeably calm.

Appleyard hatchlings are distinctive. They are yellow with a dark Mohawk and dark right at the top of their tail.

These are young Appleyards, just transitioning into adult plumage. You can see they are much darker than WH. The drakes are just showing the very first of the silver frost on their throats. That will be much more pronounced here, pretty soon.

86649_appleyard_4_mo.jpg

86649_appleyard_4_mo_2.jpg

Back
Top Bottom