Approaching 24 hours since pip at the wrong end

As long as it can breath it should be okay. I agree wait until morning, than see if it needs help. Otherwise it's up to you whether to help more tonight. You are the one looking at it and will be the one who suffers any consequences. I always follow my gut.

My gut was telling me to help. The membrane seemed dry and the chick's peeps were getting quieter. My husband and I assisted the hatch laaaaaate last night and one tired yellow chick was born. S/he spent the night in the incubator and is now alternating between wobbling around, pecking at food, and sleeping in the brooder with the rest of the hatch. It hasn't quite found its feet yet, still wobbling about on its hocks, but it's only been hatched for like 8 hours so I'm trying to be patient and not so stressed out. This might be my first and only hatch! My nerves are shot!

My gut was telling me to help. The membrane seemed dry and the chick's peeps were getting quieter. My husband and I assisted the hatch laaaaaate last night and one tired yellow chick was born. S/he spent the night in the incubator and is now alternating between wobbling around, pecking at food, and sleeping in the brooder with the rest of the hatch. It hasn't quite found its feet yet, still wobbling about on its hocks, but it's only been hatched for like 8 hours so I'm trying to be patient and not so stressed out. This might be my first and only hatch! My nerves are shot!
Good Job!

Given the time and that the others had hatched, it was time for that chick to come out!

I give chicks like that a drop of poly vi sol without iron twice a day for a couple of days. This perks them up and helps them recover from hatching stress.

Watch for pasty butt too.

Good job! :clapGet some rest! :fl

Hatching is always stressful whether in an incubator or under a broody, I am always happy when it's done. Good call on the assistance.

Back
Top Bottom