Approaching first hatch---and super nervous!!

@eggbert420 do you agree that increasing the humidity will help malformed or misshapen air cells? I read that somewhere.

Last edited:
I'm in GA and it's pretty humid here as well. I'm just worried the chicks will have hatching problems with their weird air cells

There's no fixing the misshapen aircells. Raising humidity is not a good idea. I live in GA too and I dry hatch. Then raise the humidity during lockdown. The only time I didn't do that was with this last back of shipped turkey eggs and I totally screwed them up by raising the humidity.

It sounds like you're doing great so far. You'll know the humidity is right with your little incubating if the air cells are increasing in size like they should. Look at the diagrams that are posted around the internet. With shipped eggs, it's normal to loose quite a few.

I live in georgia also my first hatch I was going by the directions that came with the unit till someone told me I needed a lower humidity I had a hard time to keep it below 35% it stayed more like 40% and had more hatch than expected! My next hatch I kep it below 35% and lost them all so I'm back staying between 35 and 40% all are developing good and air sacs are prigressing normally. On day 7 I only lost 4 of my friends gigs 2 no development one a blood ring and one of the 30 shipped eggs so I'm at 44 eggs now I'm hoping my humidity settings will be about right for a good hatch I have 3 thermometers/ hygrometers in my unit this time!!

I had some advice about shipped eggs that seem to work pretty good you stand them like normal but when you put them in the incubator you don't turn them for 3 days then after day three you turn your turners on. Out of 30 eggs looking now at day 8 29 are viable so I'm hoping to hatch most of them I'll keep you posted with the results. Actually faring better is Han my own eggs!

I had some advice about shipped eggs that seem to work pretty good you stand them like normal but when you put them in the incubator you don't turn them for 3 days then after day three you turn your turners on. Out of 30 eggs looking now at day 8 29 are viable so I'm hoping to hatch most of them I'll keep you posted with the results. Actually faring better is Han my own eggs!

That is the only way to hatch shipped eggs. In case the air sacs are separated . It will give them a chance to stabilize. Your hatch rates will go way up

My little misshapen air cell chicks appear to be developing well. My new worry is all the tornado warnings & possible power outages.

Back
Top Bottom