Appropriate Feeding for Cornish Cross

I'm on week 5 of my first batch of CX. I fed them 24/7 for the first 3 weeks and then 12 on 12 off feed. I'm using non medicated 20% starter/grower start to finish. I calculate feed consumption once a week by weighing the bucket in the morning and again in the evening. I have been using this chart from Welp as a reference.

Mine are almost exactly on that track for feed consumption and a just a little ahead on weight. I weighed a few yesterday which was day 39 of growth and they weighed between 6 and 6.5 pounds each.
OK. This chart makes me feel a heck of a lot better about how much feed we just went through in the past 10 days.
smile.png
It's also a little scary to think about how much we'll be going through in a month when they're almost ready to get butchered!
th.gif

what is a broiler mash????
frow.gif
A broiler mash generally is a feed made with ground grains, vitamins, supplements, that encourage weight gain, promotes digestion, and basically is complete and gives you a healthy bird yet encourages muscle growth.

A broiler crumble or pellet may have all the same ingredients, but all the ingredients are mixed with water, run through an extruder to make rather uniform pellets, then dried(I assume with heat). For crumbles, the pellets are crushed into smaller pieces.

OK. This chart makes me feel a heck of a lot better about how much feed we just went through in the past 10 days.
smile.png
It's also a little scary to think about how much we'll be going through in a month when they're almost ready to get butchered!
th.gif

can you tell me where you got this chart from?

I'm going to be raising some of these for myself and my sister-in-law. Her nutritionist has her on a pretty specific diet, and she's wondering if we can raise the chickens without corn or soy, and obviously organic. What are my options, in that case? I believe I can buy an organic, non-GMO (no corn or soy) feed from my local feed store, but it's not high enough in protein. My neighbor suggested supplementing their food with cottage cheese, to make sure they are getting enough protein.

Any advice you guys have would be awesome!

I'm going to be raising some of these for myself and my sister-in-law. Her nutritionist has her on a pretty specific diet, and she's wondering if we can raise the chickens without corn or soy, and obviously organic. What are my options, in that case? I believe I can buy an organic, non-GMO (no corn or soy) feed from my local feed store, but it's not high enough in protein. My neighbor suggested supplementing their food with cottage cheese, to make sure they are getting enough protein.

Any advice you guys have would be awesome!

Hey sunheeter
welcome-byc.gif
I'll be watching for answers too.

I give mine all they want of 18-20% grower starter crumbles for the first 3 weeks. After that I continue with the high protein crumbles, but only give them as much as they can eat in 15 minutes twice a day. They also are in chicken tractors that are moved to fresh bugs and grass every day. They can eat as much bugs and grass as they want throughout the day. I get a straight run of birds and they dress out between 3.5-5 pounds in 8 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom