Appropriate Pekin Duckling Feed Amount

LostInWestTX

In the Brooder
Apr 11, 2024
I got 6 ducklings from TSC that turned out to be Pekins, possibly jumbos, judging by then doubling in size in a week and the size of their legs. From what I've researched, I know that they can gorge themselves, and that I shouldn't give them too much food, but how much is too much?? I'm also ordering nutritional yeast and niacin drops this weekend. Any other tips also welcome, I want them to stay as healthy as possible.

My first ducks were pekins and I was also amazed at how fast they grew! I was convinced one of mine was a jumbo as well because she seemed to get big so quick, but eventually she evened out and was just regular pekin sized. Unfortunately they are bred to grow so fast because the meat industry harvests them young - like 8 weeks old. This can induce a host of problems for their little bodies as their legs can't always keep up with the weight they put on. You are on the right track with adding the yeast right away and also doing niacin drops. The best ones to use are the liquid vitamin B complex for animals. they're called injectable but you give them orally. At the time I was made aware of them I already had a duckling with splay leg, so I made sure she was getting at least 1 ml a day over food, and also added some to small water dishes for all of my ducklings. Their bodies won't hold on to excess, so you don't really have to be concerned about overdosing. I did not restrict feed for my ducks. By the time they were adults they were just pretty much healthy big ducks. Pekins do eat a lot and poop a lot compared to smaller weight ducks, but they make up for all their problems by being so delightful.

Another thing is that due to being heavy-weight ducks, they may be more prone to develop bumblefoot issues.....although plenty of my lightweight girls have had issues. When they're grown just check their feet on a regular basis to catch any scabs or anything before they turn into infections.

Back
Top Bottom