Approx 5mo old pullet, black around vent

slh746

In the Brooder
Nov 7, 2023
Columbus, OH
She also had diarrhea. I took her to a vet who did a parasite test. Positive for coccidia and roundworms. Treated for cocci, held off on roundworms due to thinness. Poops are more normal now. Other issue is apparent wounds around vent, she has been picked on a bit. She is a different type than others, a salmon faverolle. Wounds are turning black. Vet gave betadine to treat wounds. Is something else going on? She has been quarantined from the others.

She also had diarrhea. I took her to a vet who did a parasite test. Positive for coccidia and roundworms. Treated for cocci, held off on roundworms due to thinness. Poops are more normal now. Other issue is apparent wounds around vent, she has been picked on a bit. She is a different type than others, a salmon faverolle. Wounds are turning black. Vet gave betadine to treat wounds. Is something else going on? She has been quarantined from the others.
Bring her inside so that you can keep a close eye on here. Can you please post pictures?

It would be best to worm her and all your other birds. The worms are sucking the life out of your hen.
Give her Valbazen, 1/2ml orally using a syringe without needle. Then repeat again in 10 days. Same for your other birds.
Then give them plain boiled rice mixed with buttermilk for a couple of days after worming, you can add it to their feed if you wish.

It would be best to worm her and all your other birds. The worms are sucking the life out of your hen.
Give her Valbazen, 1/2ml orally using a syringe without needle. Then repeat again in 10 days. Same for your other birds.
Then give them plain boiled rice mixed with buttermilk for a couple of days after worming, you can add it to their feed if you wish.
Very interesting...what does the buttermilk do?

Very interesting...what does the buttermilk do?
Buttermilk coats intestinal lining protecting it from damage by coccidiosis until amprolium, or a sulfa drug or toltrazuril can be administered.
It is also an outstanding probiotic. The boiled rice looks like maggots to chickens and they scoff it up. I recommend buttermilk mixed with boiled rice after worming as well.

This is a picture of her vent as of today (Nov 11).

Attachments

• Vent pic.jpg
    Vent pic.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom