Approximately 4 Week old Lavender Orpington chicks - boy or girl?

They seem to be hens, if you want to be sure, look at the end of their back ( area before the tail starts and the back ends) for a round bump, it's an oil gland and only roosters have it.
All chickens have an oil gland...It's how they preen. I realize this post is ten years old, but I found it searching for something else and the information is inaccurate. Gender can be identified, by those who are very good, by wings in the first few days after hatch, sometimes by feather growth(how fast/slow they feather out, but still depends), by comb size depending on breed, and around three months old, by their sex feathers. Generally the most accurate. I did have one that decided to pretend to be a pullet until he was 9.5 months old though. Literally got pin feathers overnight. I have never heard of a preen/oil gland being a gender determining factor though, because they do, in fact, all have them.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220209-155430.png
    Screenshot_20220209-155430.png
    665.3 KB · Views: 0
It may be a bit early to decide at 4 weeks, 6 weeks is better. When ever I chose a LO at the feed store, even with day olds, I look for black combs.

Back
Top Bottom