Approximately how old should chickens be before you can properly assess them for SOP?

RuffIedFeathers

Songster
Sep 12, 2022
SF Bay Area, California
I'm sure this varies by breed, but is there a rough estimation? I have some breeds that I can't find a whole lot of information on (Pita Pinta Asturiana is the one I'm most interested in). At what age would you feel comfortable really assessing them to determine if they would be good breeding stock or meet the SOP? (obviously some breeds don't have an SOP, but I have found a general description/guideline). Mine are nearing 6 months.
Also, where would you go to find this information for breeds that do have an SOP, like Ameracaunas?
Pics below of my favorite roo! And the first baby chick that I hatched yesterday. It's half pita pinta and I'm guessing maybe half barnevelder? I'm unsure still.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 20230115_122246.jpg
    20230115_122246.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 25
  • 20230115_122544.jpg
    20230115_122544.jpg
    483.7 KB · Views: 3
You could buy a copy of the SOP, or you could request a pdf of the page(s) that have the breed you are interested in like I did. There will be extra information about things such as color and defects for all breeds that you would have to get the actual sop to see, but there may be a website with a pdf version of it. I do know that there is one on the National Jersey Giant club website, but it only has the pages for Jersey Giants. Good luck, he is one gorgeous roo!

To get the SOP, the only way is to buy the American Standard of Perfection, though the Australian Open Poultry Standards are a second best option.
I’d say 6 months is a good time to get rid of the ones you for sure aren’t going to use, but at 8 months, you can probably actually pick your breeders. Some large birds take longer though, and some bad traits will make themselves known sooner. You should cull as soon as you can to save money but you should never cull before birds can realize their full potential. Type, especially needs a lot of time. Birds could fill out in areas and look totally different.

I don’t really think there is a set time, though. For me, it’s whenever I feel confident they are mature enough that I can pick the best ones. Even within a breed, from year to year you might have more to pick from or they might be extremely homogeneous compared to the next year, so I think you should just wait until they’re mature.

To get the SOP, the only way is to buy the American Standard of Perfection, though the Australian Open Poultry Standards are a second best option.
I’d say 6 months is a good time to get rid of the ones you for sure aren’t going to use, but at 8 months, you can probably actually pick your breeders. Some large birds take longer though, and some bad traits will make themselves known sooner. You should cull as soon as you can to save money but you should never cull before birds can realize their full potential. Type, especially needs a lot of time. Birds could fill out in areas and look totally different.
Thanks! I do have the SOP book, but it obviously doesn't include breeds that don't have an SOP. I also don't think it says at what age to cull birds, which is why I was wondering what others do. Sorry, I'm new and still reading/learning about the SOP and selecting breeding stock.

Thanks! I do have the SOP book, but it obviously doesn't include breeds that don't have an SOP. I also don't think it says at what age to cull birds, which is why I was wondering what others do. Sorry, I'm new and still reading/learning about the SOP and selecting breeding stock.
No, you’re good, it’s good you asked for help. I’m glad there are lots of people to mentor us on the internet. I’ve definitely had some great help along the way. Honestly, though, I had to figure this subject on my own, because I never thought to ask, so the only advice I have is to do the same, since I don’t really know the exact age people do their evaluations, and it seems to be all over the board but generally over 6 months.

Back
Top Bottom