Approximately much did it cost to build you coop and run?

Nicole01

Crowing
8 Years
Mar 28, 2011
MN
Approximately how much did you spend on your coop and run?

Our original plan was to spend $300 or less. Ha! Were we ever fooled, but it was WELL worth it. Our total cost was about $1000 or maybe a little more. We keep adding improvements since we didn't follow any plans. Our neighbors coop and run was 100% free and very nice too! We need to install wire fans on the wall or a ceiling fan for the summer time.

Our coop is 12x4x8, fully insulated top to bottom inside our garage. I don't have any recent pictures of the finished product, but here's the coop in process.
chickencoop008.jpg

Inside, but we made changes for winter and added a radiator heater. We also covered the roosts with vinyl. I'll take new pics tomorrow.
coop004.jpg

Our heater was free, works like a champ on the lowest setting. It keeps our coop at 50F, so I can hang out inside my coop comfortably without getting cold and our water never freezes.
1e018bcb.jpg

Here is our nest box. Yay, it was FREE! It works so well!
82114d57.jpg

56e81d15.jpg

Here is our run 22x5x5.5. We wasted a ton of welded wire by changing our minds to put a roof on it.
deadda43.jpg

Our finished run winterized!
59bda822.jpg

Oh, I forgot the door hubby built for my bday, so I can free range my babies! I love this door!
freerange021.jpg

They LOVE their run, construction sand! Easy to clean.
chicken2011002.jpg

They love to free range too, but it's on hold until next spring. Way too many hawks!
freerange005.jpg

Here are my beautiful eggs my wonderful pets lay for me everyday! Well worth all the hard work!
8b3ecfe9.jpg

I miss the baby stage!
chickens003.jpg

Chicken007.jpg

chicks009.jpg

chicks003.jpg

I really need to update my coop pictures!

Last edited:
GREAT PICS! My coop was homemade by someone else and I paid $250 for it used, small tractor style. I put about another $100 in it to put wheels, handle and latches on it. I am ready to build my own coop that is larger! Not sure how much it's going to cost!!

Ours was free.... minus one roll of insulation added later.... but I just commandeered the calf pen and hubby built the walls from what was laying around. Approximately 11x9x6.... concrete floor is nice and they free range so I have no run
smile.png

Quote:
lau.gif

I know what you mean. $300 was in our budget. We were not expecting to make ongoing improvents. There is always something that can be improved!

We also planted 4-5 pine trees to help shade the coop. One trees died for sure, but we are hoping to fully shade the run from the sun with trees.

$80 for mine!
big_smile.png
Wooohoo. If you go to the coop section and scroll down to dog kennel coop, that's my coop. the last page has a link to some pictures of it.

Well my problem was that the chicken math applies to coops as well it would seem....The first pen was built around an established arbor...so the structure was basically free...(seemed rational) so mostly it was just the hardware cloth. Oh, and the 2x4's and the staples and the tarp on the top which then was replaced with tin and the funky nails with the rubber heads that made me cuss a lot. The second pen did use the existing side wall of the first...but then hubby decided that it needed 4x4's buried in case of hurricanes...(silly man. I'm gonna bring them chickens in the house any way). And then the roofing for that..well half of it. The other half my sister found. But then the seramas I got needed their own pen so that was another free standing 4x4x8 which turned out to be too short cause I got tired of stooping over to get in with them so then that needed to be raised to six foot so I had to by lumber for that and then the top....and then the third roll of hardware cloth because there are racoons and opposums here (They eat left over cat food on the porch) and I wanted my chickens safe. Oh, the o shamos, naturally, had to have their own pen on the other side of the house because the rooster isn't friendly toward the other roosters so that was an 18x20 pen cause, you know, those are some big big chickens. Now, however, there is an issue because it seems I made a deposit for some tolbunt chicks at Greenfire farms the other night so, really, I need a separate pen for them....You see why I have two jobs?
sharon

Oh, I stopped counting at $500. It was more. Lots.

Love that gorgeous pile of sunning chickens.

You know there is a cure for missing little chicks, right?
jumpy.gif
join the valentine or easter hatch. Come over to the dark side...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom