Approximately much did it cost to build you coop and run?

Doing all of the building ourselves, the 1st barn was $1500. Add on pens, $700. The other barn with outside Peafowl pen, $1600. They are all full of birds, & now I need to build more.
th.gif

I used freecycle and as many free resources as I can

I have a metal roofing company down the road from me. His supplies come in on skids that are made from 4 - 2X4"s attached to 2 - 4X4's.. each 2X4 is 10 feet long and the 4X4's are only 36" (they are just fire wood really)

I was able to freecycle nails and insulation and a screen door. Because we were making the coop I had the door first and made the coop to fit the door. this door is now the door that separates the chicken part from the people part.

I traded eggs for shingles and roofing paper.. we agreed that once my coop was up and running again I would drop him off 5 doz eggs for 8 bundles of shingles

we did spend about $300 on floor boards and walls... I went into the home depot and they had a whole wack of mis tinted paints so I made a deal with the store manager that I would take it all for $2.00 a gal. I told him what I was doing and he thought it was cool! I came home and poured all the latex paint into a 5G pail and all the pol in another 5g pail and mixed it... the inside of the coop is latex and the outside is oil

So close to free that it makes me sad to have not pulled it off. We had to purchase 2 small boxes of screws mid-project to the tune of about $8.00. That's right I said $8.00, total. We used almost exclusively recycled and repurposed materials. It is 6'x8' and 8' tall on the tall side. I do not know how to post pics on here yet but after I figure it out I will certainly post some. (we're kinda proud of it)

As of right now my cost is $30.00 for the welded wire $3.00 for hardware cloth $3.00 for hinges $10.00 sheet of plywood. $15.00 for box of screws
Picture008.jpg

Picture020.jpg

Guardog was free also!!

Picture016.jpg

I still need a water bowl and feeder I need to make or buy.

I have 4 coops and 4 runs and I have about 4 grand invested.
barnie.gif
This spring we are building 5 small coops and 2 large ones with runs. Gonna try and do it cheaper this time.......
smack.gif
No really I am happy with it and the chickens seem pretty happy.

Back
Top Bottom