April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
Hatched 10/10 Swedish Flower hen eggs, 100 percent hatch rate.
View attachment 2612351
I'm bragging only because it's a great feeling, lol.
For sure that would be a great feeling, worth bragging about too lol. Congrats!

I'm hoping for a 100% hatch rate too, though I know everyone does. It's just that I built this particular incubator and I have been hand turning, plus built a separate pen and "coop" and separated the hen and rooster for a month before collecting eggs so I've put a lot of time and effort into these eggs to say the least lol. All 7 are viable showing movement and the air cells seem to be good, lockdown starts in a few days. 🤞

My timing was a little off cause I was aiming for a weekend hatch. I didn't realize the counting starts the day after you place them in the incubator. So hatch day is Sunday and I'll be working that night *nail biting*. I'm hoping if they do hatch they'll be fine in there for a little while. The 'egg tray' is a wire box with rubber shelf liner so they're unlikely to fall or get trapped in the meantime, I just hope they hatch when I can be there and monitor progress.

At least I'll have the weekend to get the brooder ready. I was planning to use a heat lamp again but I was browsing the river and found a heating pad that I would like to try. They spent their whole egg life with a heat lamp, I'd like to offer them a more natural day/night cycle if possible. But the heat lamp will be on standby lol.

I have another broody. Going to give her 2 eggs. I’ll swap the eggs for chicks (in 13 days) then I’ll put those eggs in the incubator. Then I’ll have chicks for the next broodies. I’d like at least 1-2 chicks per broody.
I like the use of an incubator idea for a next time I want chicks with bought fertilised eggs. I can go to pick up eggs of my choice with or even without a broody. And when I do have a steady broody in the exact place where I want her I can give her eggs that have been 7-17 days in the incubator. This way I can toss the bad eggs. And the broody only gets the eggs with life in them to sit on. If it doesn’t work out with a broody there is enough time to buy / build all the chick stuff I need.

I like the use of an incubator idea for a next time I want chicks with bought fertilised eggs. I can go to pick up eggs of my choice with or even without a broody. And when I do have a steady broody in the exact place where I want her I can give her eggs that have been 7-17 days in the incubator. This way I can toss the bad eggs. And the broody only gets the eggs with life in them to sit on. If it doesn’t work out with a broody there is enough time to buy / build all the chick stuff I need.
Incubators come in handy when you have broodies. My incubator is usually used for quail eggs because coturnix usually don’t hatch their own eggs.

Day 20 and I have my first pips! First time incubating so I'm beyond excited! Here is a pic of a couple of them, is that normally the spot pips begin at?

Attachments

• 20210413_053608.jpg
    20210413_053608.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom