April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
My current incubation is the first time I’ve ever had a quitter from a dry hatch with non-shipped eggs - this one will be a 75% hatch (3 of 4) assuming nothing else goes wrong. With shipped eggs and a dry hatch, I usually get an 80+% hatch rate. I have never had an egg from any source make it to lockdown and not hatch. Granted, I’m in the very humid southeast, and I incubate small batches, so my numbers aren’t huge to begin with.
Okay 👍

Attachments

• IMG_20210414_092514176.jpg
    IMG_20210414_092514176.jpg
    334.9 KB · Views: 7
I tried hand turning twice with 42+ eggs and I never did it again. I had the turners at the time, but the duck eggs were too heavy for the turner. I refuse to hatch duck eggs this year. All they do is make my incubators nasty and I have to soak them for hours. Duck eggs are a messy egg to hatch. Chicken and quail are definitely my preferred eggs to incubate.
Yeah I understand that. I think I want to "upgrade" the styrofoam to a wood box before I jump to working on a turner. My workplace has acrylic sheets (waste product) with small cutouts that I think would be great for an egg tray. They're lightweight, perfect size for a chicken egg and I could line the edges with duct tape. Just have to wait for the right time and opportunity to ask for one.

Ducks are just plain messy creatures IMO. But I've seen the call ducks at show and they are so darn cute it's tempting, then I remember - shoots vertical poop, muddy and may quack loudly a lot. I think if we hatched other types of bird it would be for the holiday dinner table. I raised peafowl in the past and love them but not ready for something like that just yet...

My NR360 is now a sea of fluffy chicks, today is day 21 and I can't tell how many are left to hatch in there because of all the fluff balls blocking the view lol For you experienced hatchers (this was my first time) would you remove the dry ones or continue lockdown? I'm torn on what to do. I don't want to risk any unhatched eggs but I feel like they are cramped in there... But that just may be me overthinking it lol thoughts? Advice? 💚
Quickly remove the dry fluffed babies it’s no problem at all!🥰

Yeah I understand that. I think I want to "upgrade" the styrofoam to a wood box before I jump to working on a turner. My workplace has acrylic sheets (waste product) with small cutouts that I think would be great for an egg tray. They're lightweight, perfect size for a chicken egg and I could line the edges with duct tape. Just have to wait for the right time and opportunity to ask for one.

Ducks are just plain messy creatures IMO. But I've seen the call ducks at show and they are so darn cute it's tempting, then I remember - shoots vertical poop, muddy and may quack loudly a lot. I think if we hatched other types of bird it would be for the holiday dinner table. I raised peafowl in the past and love them but not ready for something like that just yet
I have a muscovy and she is the best duck ever, but I did not hatch her. She is great at bug control especially the no see ums that are always bugging us while we do yard work.

We do quail for meat, pets, and eggs. Chickens we stopped processing, but I think we are going to have to do a few cockerels with this hatch since I know not all will be pullets.

In my dream world everything I hatch would be a pullet LOL

Back
Top Bottom