April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I thought I would post a few pics of the chicks that have hatched so far this month. I have 11 going into lockdown tomorrow from teh nr360 and 2 trays going into lockdown on Saturday.

4 light brahmas and one mistake
20210414_061943.jpg

25 lavender Orpingtons
20210414_063128.jpg

10 Dark Brahmas and 15 Gold laced Wyandotte

20210414_120127.jpg

Day 14 candling of my three Ameraucana x Speckled Sussex eggs looked good! I also have three two-week old previously hatched chicks, one Ameraucana x Barred Rock and two Ameraucana x Olive Egger, who were weaned off heat today. My Olive Egger hen was taken by a hawk on Sunday, so I’m very glad I have two of her chicks in the brooder currently. :/

And I have a McMurray order coming this week. The last tracking up date was 18 hours ago, when they left the IA distribution center. Hopefully I’ll get a call on them first thing in the morning...

Oh, AND I have a mare who was due to foal on Saturday but is still stubbornly hanging on to that baby.

Yep, I’m a crazy person. It’s official.

Hatched 10/10 Swedish Flower hen eggs, 100 percent hatch rate.
View attachment 2612351
I'm bragging only because it's a great feeling, lol.
Update:
The chicks are 3 days old now. I gathered all of them this afternoon and took them down to my exterior hen box to live in till they out grow the space. I'll extend there enclosure to incorporate part of the coop where there parents are. I'm trying a different integration method from previous ways. Thought I share.
JPEG_20210414_202637_6887603076119034031.jpg

My own silkies' eggs are progressing. First two looked great day 5 and then turned into blood rings by day 7. Strange as this has only ever happened for me with shipped eggs. Rest are doing well. Have 8 from the same pair, staggered hatch. Due to hatch from April 26th onward. Hatching to order.
Had chicks from this same pairing in February. Kept one of them, she is feathering in nicely. 6 weeks old now.😊
1B7C47F5-98E4-4E78-8EFE-7D52D218D94F.jpeg

I am having the worst luck with hatches this year. I went to check on the broodies today since their eggs should be hatching, and I found a bloody chick off to the side that had clearly been killed. I took their remaining eggs and candled them. 2 were still alive & I threw them in the incubator. Hope they hatch 🤞Those ladies won’t be brooding again.

Went to bed last night after checking on the incubator. My externally pipped duckling was still the same but alive & no other pips.

Woke up this morning to hearing duckling peeping & thought “oh good It’s made it out”. Look in the incubator & it did in fact make it out...along with 3 other ducklings.

Day 26- 4 Ducklings, 3 pips.

My first hatch will be against the odds -- a single pullet egg. My son got it at a chicken expo and really wanted to try to hatch. It's due to go into lockdown on Sunday, with a hatch on Wednesday, hopefully. So far, so good, I think. I've candled 3 times, and it's grown each time, though I don't ever see movement. If it hatches, we may pick up a buddy for it. Any advice for a small egg?

Back
Top Bottom