April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I like to have 3-4 total chicks if I have a single. They are flock animals and do better in a little group.

My Foxfire eggs came!
fr.PNG

ADVICE PLEASE! Hi everyone! Quick question. I have 2 broody Silkies sitting on a single egg that has internally pipped, I can hear it.
BUT I never expected it to get this far, it had a severely detached air cell. Should I give it a safety hole in the shell, or just leave it be and have nature run it course?

When I checked the egg this morning under mama, it started peeping quite loudly

thanks!

Attachments

• 50C0F2B1-12AB-40D1-8815-923ABC4377EF.jpeg
    50C0F2B1-12AB-40D1-8815-923ABC4377EF.jpeg
    418.4 KB · Views: 2
My first hatch will be against the odds -- a single pullet egg. My son got it at a chicken expo and really wanted to try to hatch. It's due to go into lockdown on Sunday, with a hatch on Wednesday, hopefully. So far, so good, I think. I've candled 3 times, and it's grown each time, though I don't ever see movement. If it hatches, we may pick up a buddy for it. Any advice for a small egg?
Small eggs can hatch early so I’d start keeping an eye on it around day 19

My first hatch will be against the odds -- a single pullet egg. My son got it at a chicken expo and really wanted to try to hatch. It's due to go into lockdown on Sunday, with a hatch on Wednesday, hopefully. So far, so good, I think. I've candled 3 times, and it's grown each time, though I don't ever see movement. If it hatches, we may pick up a buddy for it. Any advice for a small egg?
They hatch just the same as a regular sized egg. Sometimes the may hatch earlier because the chick doesn’t have enough room.

Just watch for the yolk being absorbed sometimes smaller pullet eggs don’t have enough room so the chick comes out early then they don’t absorb the yolk fully. Just put the chick in a cup in the bator with a shelf liner inside the cup so it can get enough grip to stand.

Back
Top Bottom