April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I just got a notice, my Frizzle-NN eggs are being sent out tomorrow. My foxfire eggs are on day 3.
DH and I went back to N40. He got plants, and I went to see what was left chick wise, I bought 3 amberlinks, and one buckeye. Since last time I was there I got 3 to go with 3 I hatched, now I have ten. Fun!

My early hatch is all fluffed up and tucked into the brooder with 13 McMurray chicks (1 week old). It seems to be holding its own under the heat plate just fine, but I’m working from home today and will check on it periodically to make sure that continues. A second egg has externally pipped; hopefully that one will hatch as quickly as the first did so it can join its hatch mate tonight. The third egg has, I think internally pipped. Day 19 doesn’t officially begin until this afternoon. I used a calibrated thermometer, but clearly things were running on the warm side in my incubator. I’ll need to remind myself to get a new thermometer before I start hatching next year.

5 are now in the brooder, and as today is day 21 I have 6 more eggs that have yet to pip. I need this incubator tomorrow as I have to go to the post office to pick up shipped eggs.

Now that I am hatching weekly, I am rethinking the 366 egg incubator I was going to order the first of the month. It might not be big enough :eek:

The first of my staggered hatch silkie eggs is DAY 14 today and looking good. I currently have 11 in the incubator at various stages of development, all progressing. 😊
So nice to incubate my own birds' eggs and not have to fuss with them after the shipped egg fiasco this season.
My one little paint is 10 days old now and doing great with it's local farm bought buddies.
IMG_9534.JPG

The first of my staggered hatch silkie eggs is DAY 14 today and looking good. I currently have 11 in the incubator at various stages of development, all progressing. 😊
So nice to incubate my own birds' eggs and not have to fuss with them after the shipped egg fiasco this season.
My one little paint is 10 days old now and doing great with it's local farm bought buddies.View attachment 2624668
So you have males now? That’s amazing! Doing your own eggs from your own flock is an amazing feeling. Right now all my girls are fertilized either by my deathlayer, silkie, or bantam buff cochin. My husband culled a few males yesterday that weren’t fitting in or too aggressive for the ladies.

So you have males now? That’s amazing! Doing your own eggs from your own flock is an amazing feeling. Right now all my girls are fertilized either by my deathlayer, silkie, or bantam buff cochin. My husband culled a few males yesterday that weren’t fitting in or too aggressive for the ladies.
Thanks! Yes, one of my silkies, "Jane" from last year ended up being a boy, so we kept him. I have some nice silkie crosses from him and kept a pure silkie pullet from February, too. He is a good boy.
These eggs are all "hatch to order" for some folks on my waitlist for pure silkies.
I can't wait to see your polish deathlayer chicks this time around, they are always so cool looking! 😊

Thanks! Yes, one of my silkies, "Jane" from last year ended up being a boy, so we kept him. I have some nice silkie crosses from him and kept a pure silkie pullet from February, too. He is a good boy.
These eggs are all "hatch to order" for some folks on my waitlist for pure silkies.
I can't wait to see your polish deathlayer chicks this time around, they are always so cool looking! 😊
I don’t have any deathlayer polish this hatch. The bantam polish won’t breed with Ozzt 🤣 she chose my bantam buff cochin this year, but she had no fertile eggs.

I do have some polish deathlayer eggs but I’m not sure who they mated with. I was hoping the bantam cochin... did I tell you that they lay green eggs???

I gave two of the Polish deathlayers to a friend and he told me that they were laying green eggs and I didn’t believe him. But now my two are laying green eggs! One lays olive and the other mint green.

Back
Top Bottom