April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
I don’t have any deathlayer polish this hatch. The bantam polish won’t breed with Ozzt 🤣 she chose my bantam buff cochin this year, but she had no fertile eggs.

I do have some polish deathlayer eggs but I’m not sure who they mated with. I was hoping the bantam cochin... did I tell you that they lay green eggs???

I gave two of the Polish deathlayers to a friend and he told me that they were laying green eggs and I didn’t believe him. But now my two are laying green eggs! One lays olive and the other mint green.
Wow! That is so strange and cool!😀
Where did the green egg color come from? I bet the polish mixed with cochin would be interesting! Too bad none were fertile.
I have two red bantam cochin chicks coming in a chick order this week. Have never had cochins, but I hear such great things about them.

Wow! That is so strange and cool!😀
Where did the green egg color come from? I bet the polish mixed with cochin would be interesting! Too bad none were fertile.
I have two red bantam cochin chicks coming in a chick order this week. Have never had cochins, but I hear such great things about them.
I just culled a regular size lavender cochin... he was too big and my girls really disliked him. Loved him but I have to do what’s best for the girls.

But I cannot say enough good things about bantam cochin. Bane is my main man. He’s so funny and friendly!

Ozzy is a deathlayer cross I believe. His coloring is off and eye color is not deathlayer coloring. It was a mixup at the breeders my friend bought him from, but whatever he is mixed with has dominant green eggs because every one of his offspring lays green. My friend paid tons for him 🤣 he was a meany so they gifted him to me... he’s never crossed me and he’s such a sweetie!

94981461-C807-4C7D-B7B3-828DFC204C76.jpeg

First silkie is hatched! Lots more are pipped, looks like it’ll be a bit until this kid has a friend.
I’m bad at guessing colors, though I’m thinking maybe a blue paint?
They’ll likely all come out mixed colored.

We did our first candling this weekend on our 14 silver laced barnevelder eggs. 12 show viable growth at day 8. These are shipped eggs, and I'm noticing that many of them have an air cell that looks irregular in shape. Heart shaped? Is this a bad thing I should be worried about? We gave them a 24 hour rest before putting in the incubator, and are hand turning.

We did our first candling this weekend on our 14 silver laced barnevelder eggs. 12 show viable growth at day 8. These are shipped eggs, and I'm noticing that many of them have an air cell that looks irregular in shape. Heart shaped? Is this a bad thing I should be worried about? We gave them a 24 hour rest before putting in the incubator, and are hand turning.
It sounds like your air cells are saddled. It’s not good but it’s not horrible either. I do think they need special care though.

Back
Top Bottom