April 2021 Hatch - A - Long

Pics
Today I took out 45 chicks... plus helped 2 out of the shell. I know you shouldn't help... and yes.. they didn't make it... I had to cull them.
I also had to cull another one... At first I didn't notice...but when I wanted to put a marking ring on it... I saw this. Webbed feet... extra toes and deformed toes..It also did not want to stand up too much..Then the nose had what looked like some sort of growth. But when you looked closer you saw that it was open...like a cleft lip. I have not seen anything like that before.
But I have 44 chicks that are healthy and happy. They got their Marek shot today. It was an exciting and exhausting day for them.
Where did you get the eggs from?

We’ve got 21 chicks this morning. One chick passed away in the shell last night. One of its hatch mates kicked it over so it was zipped side down and it got stuck and dried out. Another had to be helped but but finally kicked the rest of the way out on its own and seems to be alright at the moment. Currently we have 9 RIR and 12 BSL, BR, and non sexlinked BRxRIR crosses.

I have a new chick! She (🙏) hatched yesterday afternoon, in the most nonconventional way. She never pipped the air cell, but went straight through the side of the shell. Then she more kicked her way out, instead of zipping. She looks healthy, though! Already trying to climb onto the heat plate!
1619007729189.jpg

I have a new chick! She (🙏) hatched yesterday afternoon, in the most nonconventional way. She never pipped the air cell, but went straight through the side of the shell. Then she more kicked her way out, instead of zipping. She looks healthy, though! Already trying to climb onto the heat plate!
View attachment 2627925
Several of mine hatched that way and they are all nice and healthy. Mine happened because my air cells were small and because they hatched early and the turner had only been off for about 36 hours.

Life has been so busy, that I haven’t been on much! Besides all the chicken and quail we already have I have growing out 18 coturnix that hatched 3.5 weeks ago, new bunny, and broody hens outside with babies, and 8 Ancona duck eggs in the incubator!

Today is lockdown on the duck eggs and it looks like 7 of the 8 are already starting to internally pip!! It’s my first time hatching ducks, I’ve been running at 99.5 and 50-55% humidity in my NR 360. I dropped the temp down to 99 and currently waiting for the humidity to reach 70. I’m super excited, but nervous, it’s our first time all around with ducks

Attachments

• 61A4E436-C7A6-46EC-AE78-2FB6D41F2A3D.jpeg
    61A4E436-C7A6-46EC-AE78-2FB6D41F2A3D.jpeg
    369.8 KB · Views: 1
  • AB43FBBB-CB66-4834-882E-CE4077884C24.jpeg
    AB43FBBB-CB66-4834-882E-CE4077884C24.jpeg
    432.5 KB · Views: 1
I have the final numbers on our April hatch. 24 total. Forgive me if I’m off but it all starts to run together when the chicks are busting out. 11 RIRs, 11 Black sex-links & 2 EEs. Out of 28 fertile eggs we hatched 24. 85% isn’t bad for a newbie. Thanks for all the help and advise from all of you!

My hatch is officially over. I started with 33 eggs one was a clear. Another one died around day 5. 31 made it hatch day 28 lived. One was kicked over mid zip by a hatch mate and didn’t make it. Another pipped directly into a blood vessel and I final never made it to pip. All in all I’m thrilled that 28 made it considering this was my first hatch! I’ll update with gender and breed in a few weeks if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 5078F6C6-0F2C-4227-A345-AB5C992C1068.jpeg
    5078F6C6-0F2C-4227-A345-AB5C992C1068.jpeg
    359.2 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom