April 2023 Hatch-A-Long

Pics
I just bought these eggs from a store by the grocery that I have gotten hatching eggs from before. They may be from the same farm. But they were 2 dollars cheaper.

egui.PNG

$5 a doz.

I played hopefully my last round of musical incubators this morning in preparation for my biggest hatch batch to date. These are for a customer who keeps surprising me with more eggs. They had asked if I could fit 120 and I’d said ok and then they brought 160. I thought ok. I just won’t put any more in the cabinet until after these hatch so I can use 2 shelves… but then the next week when I brought them their first batch of chicks they surprised me with 76 more eggs😂.

So anyway I was at first thinking I’d move the still incubating eggs into my smaller incubators and hand turn but that actually made no sense lol as I already had my 15 buckeye eggs in the nr 360… not enough room for the 72 eggs still going.

What I ended up doing is moving my buckeye eggs into the dickeys cabinet which is now mostly empty. I put a full tray of eggs in the Hatcher in there and 50 or so split between the brinsea and the NR 360.
Simple right… Not crazy at all lol.

🤞🏼For a good hatch on these. They’re due for April 4th.

I’m joining in on the April hatch-a-long.
I ordered 6 plus extra Opal Legbar hatching eggs off of Ebay last Month. They arrived yesterday, wonderfully packaged, and all seven were perfectly intact. No wiggly air cells or anything. This will be the first time I’ve ever tried shipped eggs.
I’m adding two of my Sapphire Blue eggs (jumbo browns), two Game Hen eggs (little white ones), and one of my Easter Egger’s green eggs to make a perfect dozen. My roosters are Heinz 57’s. One is fibromelanstic and stays with the game girls. My white rooster stays with the other girls. I’m excited to see what their chicks will look like!

Attachments

• AC6A5439-7A5C-42B1-8E14-85A9F804AA92.jpeg
    AC6A5439-7A5C-42B1-8E14-85A9F804AA92.jpeg
    401.3 KB · Views: 1
what day are the others on? That would make a difference in what I would do.
It’s just two silkie eggs I think, should have written everything down 😅 We candled everything and everything else looked the same development. Several clear eggs, so I think I only added eggs to the last turner. They’re 7-10 days behind. I could give them to a broody though… But I’ve never done that and I want to have Buffy’s babies so bad. Decisions decisions lol

For those of you who incubate eggs collected from your own flock, what is your method to decide which eggs to incubate?
I hatch from my own flock and have been selecting the ones that are the Roo’s favorite ladies for best fertilization. Also I’m hoping for some mega- dark olive eggers. Lucky the favorite ladies are a couple of the F1 olive eggers so they will be crossed back with a Penedesenca for F2. They’re already striking olive and green speckled 😊. Anyhow, we just hatched batch #2; the F2 OE and some Americauna x Penedesenca F1’s. I have a bunch of little penguins (F2) and chipmunks (F1) running around🥰. Will reset the incubator today with LO’s - excited!
71985D8F-4CB5-44AD-9559-40A084F4912F.jpeg

(Other colors just here for context)
B8F4C71D-5013-45DA-93DF-FCD2114AC8E4.jpeg

978FD4A1-D86F-45B7-B1FF-EE2D76D02E5D.jpeg

Last edited:
It’s just two silkie eggs I think, should have written everything down 😅 We candled everything and everything else looked the same development. Several clear eggs, so I think I only added eggs to the last turner. They’re 7-10 days behind. I could give them to a broody though… But I’ve never done that and I want to have Buffy’s babies so bad. Decisions decisions lol
what I would do then is take the turners out on day 18 wait to bump humidity either until day 19 or first pip (I did day 19 when I had some that were 4 days behind). hand turn until you see a pip then stop hand turning the others. once a baby hatches they will turn the eggs while they run around so you will be good there. LOL After these babies hatch either keep hand turning or put a turner back in, lower humidity and keep it a bit lower than normal (you may have to remove water to get it back down) then wait till those are on day 19 to bump humidity. But keep it a bit below what you normally do from after others hatch till day 19 to try to even out lockdown time and when you bring it down.

Back
Top Bottom