Votes: 6 5.2%
  • 31 - 40 eggs

Votes: 12 10.4%
  • 41 - 50 eggs

Votes: 14 12.2%
  • 51+

Votes: 15 13.0%

• Total voters
She is in the same nest my last broody used. It worked pretty well. She is pretty grumpy so no one else is getting in with her. I was there when the last broody mama took the babies out of the nest for the first time. It was amazing to watch. They are only about a foot and an half from the ground and I keep it loaded with shavings so they just tumbled off the edge and plopped down. Of course then they wanted back up if they got down before mom but she jumped down with them and from then on they moved to a ground level box and slept.

Now the first batch is a month old and mama has them flying up on the roost with her.

Canceled eggs tonight. I am not super scientific, I use an LED flashlight, and air cells look big and other end looks dark on all 8 eggs.

Odd thing: there should be 9 eggs :idunno

I set 11, removed 2 on day 8 for being clear. 11 minus 2 is 9, right? I know my math skills are bad but i thought I had this one. I felt around really well under my girl tonight and only brought out 8 eggs. :confused: Where'd it go?

I have had this happen also. Placed a green egg under a broody silkie and about a week later it was missing. Never did find it so I have no idea where it went.

Canceled eggs tonight. I am not super scientific, I use an LED flashlight, and air cells look big and other end looks dark on all 8 eggs.

Odd thing: there should be 9 eggs
idunno.gif

I set 11, removed 2 on day 8 for being clear. 11 minus 2 is 9, right? I know my math skills are bad but i thought I had this one. I felt around really well under my girl tonight and only brought out 8 eggs.
hu.gif
Where'd it go?

Could she have rolled it away some where? Some broodys will get rid of eggs if they are infertile or dead.

I have heard the same about hens ...they can tell a bad egg and get rid of it from the nest.

I am in Lockdown...Hoping for some little hatchers of black swedish hens, swedish flower, isbar and easter eggers. I have 3 pips in my EE. Day 20 here...so, a little early.

Trying to hatch them in the cabinet and the humidity pump is running non stop & I have a pan full of water in there too and 3 humidity pads...LOL

I have had this happen also. Placed a green egg under a broody silkie and about a week later it was missing. Never did find it so I have no idea where it went.
Well, today is day 20 and the 8 remaining looked good so after hatch time I plan to clean out the straw in the nest and see if it got hidden somewhere.

Could she have rolled it away some where? Some broodys will get rid of eggs if they are infertile or dead.
There is no place for it to roll away. I had another bird trying to go brood who would get in the nest and steal an egg on occasion earlier but there was really no way for her to get them out of the nest, that I know of. They are all boldly marked so I know I didn't accidentally collect it. Who knows.
idunno.gif

ah, no! i beg to differ! now these are absolutely hysterical....(yes they are a breed)

although 4 week old roosters are a close second!
gig.gif
That is funny. I also love it when the youngsters start trying to crow.

Back
Top Bottom