APRIL HATCH-A-LONG come join in

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I had to help all 5 of my ducks. they were just a twisted up mess in the shells. Had their feet around their bills and couldnt progress. But each and every one of them bled when I helped them. I thought sure they would all die that first night. I dipped the bloody umblilicus in corn starch like I had read on here and it clotted the blood right up. They were a pitiful site that first night. They couldnt stand orr anything. They just layed out and twitched. It was horrible. But they were all up and going strong the next morning. They are all 5 going to be 3 weeks tomorrow and they are HUGE. Healthy as can be. they would never have made it out on their own tho. So just never know what to do.

Quote:
food coloring is a great idea. Think I will try that. I have the same kind as you and it is very hard to tell when it is dry,. thanks. The best thing I have found to get the humidity up is a poise pad from the feminine hygiene dept. But it really takes it up there so I only use that for lockdown.

Quote:
food coloring is a great idea. Think I will try that. I have the same kind as you and it is very hard to tell when it is dry,. thanks. The best thing I have found to get the humidity up is a poise pad from the feminine hygiene dept. But it really takes it up there so I only use that for lockdown.

I thought about doing that... so thanks for the confirmation!
wink.png
great minds think alike!

so 4 days left... i have started seeing shadows in the air sac this morning... wondering if thats the beak...

anyways... if i wipe a wet cloth onto eggs with large airsacs will that increase the humidity in the incubator or will it just stop the eggs with large air sacs getting bigger?

Well, guess I have bee "April Fooled"! Today was supposed to be hatch day for my Silver Lakenvelders but nary a wiggle, chirp, pip or peep is to be seen or heard. ALL looked full and ready at the pre-lockdown candleing
hide.gif
hu.gif
pop.gif

Quote:

I hope it's true.
fl.gif
I just set 8 Fr. Blue Marans. They are starting out with 2.5 strikes
th.gif
so need all the help they can get! 1] shipped eggs 2] I was on vacation when I ordered them, so had them held for 4 days before shipping, so some are 10 days old .5] Can't get my DIY bater to hold temp and the other 5 are stuffed so have layed them on top of eggs in turner
bow.gif
until can resolve that prob [building another bater today].

Save the Faves: I am not an electrician BUT as I understand it, the power to the cigarette lighter isn't sufficient to supply more than 300 watts, so if you have an inverter greater than that, it overheats, causing it to shut off until it cools down. So-o-o-o while it is shut down [takes an hour or 2 to cool down] your 'appliance' [bator] is 'unplugged'. When I found this out, we were traveling a 12 hour trip New Years Day, temps in low 30s. I used my 300 WI bought in Jan when the borrowed 400 watt one shut down] on the 'traveling hatch'. It kept the hatcher going but I had to unplug the fan for the trip.

Gotta go dance!

43761_mar_28-31_pix_005.jpg

why not cover ur diy incubator with blankets etc to help keep a constant temperature...

good luck though... sounds like you need it

Quote:

I hope it's true.
fl.gif
I just set 8 Fr. Blue Marans. They are starting out with 2.5 strikes
th.gif
so need all the help they can get! 1] shipped eggs 2] I was on vacation when I ordered them, so had them held for 4 days before shipping, so some are 10 days old .5] Can't get my DIY bater to hold temp and the other 5 are stuffed so have layed them on top of eggs in turner
bow.gif
until can resolve that prob [building another bater today].

Save the Faves: I am not an electrician BUT as I understand it, the power to the cigarette lighter isn't sufficient to supply more than 300 watts, so if you have an inverter greater than that, it overheats, causing it to shut off until it cools down. So-o-o-o while it is shut down [takes an hour or 2 to cool down] your 'appliance' [bator] is 'unplugged'. When I found this out, we were traveling a 12 hour trip New Years Day, temps in low 30s. I used my 300 WI bought in Jan when the borrowed 400 watt one shut down] on the 'traveling hatch'. It kept the hatcher going but I had to unplug the fan for the trip.

Gotta go dance!

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/43761_mar_28-31_pix_005.jpg

Thanks for the info on the inverter, you sure learned a lot about those with your "traveling hatch." Best of luck with your next hatches, I'll be watching for them.

What a wonderful & fun painting that "dancin chicken" is!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've collected 42 eggs from my backyard flock again... got the bator up and running... gonna put em in tomorrow morning
big_smile.png

question...

When you see shadows of what look like beaks... is that the ducklings beak poking into the air cell... there are 4 days left in my incubation btw

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom