Apron Question

SeaSea47

Songster
7 Years
Mar 12, 2017
I am putting my apron down today for my duck run, and I was planning to use hardware cloth. However, I just read that many people prefer 16-gauge pvc coated wife fence. Do any of you know the benefits of one over the other? Thanks!

I used both. The reason is that was what I had available, I did not have to buy any more fencing.

Rats, snakes, and weasels can get through 1" mesh wire and larger openings. 1/2" wire mesh should stop all those, at least any snakes big enough to eat eggs or baby chicks. Snakes smaller than that are at risk of being eaten by the chickens. Since all these can climb, any fencing or openings of any type above the ground have to be that small too. Any openings around doors, gates, windows, or external access nests have to be that small or you may allow access. Corners of coop walls or roof to wall can be weak spots.

Small opening hardwire cloth can come in fairly light gauge. The smaller the mesh the smaller the critters it will keep out, but the lighter the gauge the more critters can tear it. I'll include a link with photos for the non-believers. The heavier the gauge the larger the openings. There are trade-offs in this plus costs.

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1105056/dog-vs-hardware-cloth#post_17001519

Either one will do a pretty good job of keeping larger predators out. Just because the lighter gauge can be torn doesn't mean it will be. But nothing is perfect.

1/4" hardware cloth or 1/2" is the only way to go. The more predators you keep out the fewer chickens you'll lose and more eggs you'll get. Snakes and rats eat both. In this case an ounce of prevention goes a long long way.Don't worry about the gauge worry about the size.

Attachments

• chick.jpg
    chick.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 10
Just a note, 1/4" hardware cloth is a thinner wire that is easier for predators to rip through.
Now I'm thinking I should double up and use both! Haha. I have only used hardware cloth in the past, but my run had a wooden floor (chickens free ranged most of the day, so they were only in it for an hour or two in the morning really). It was kind of a throw-together thing when I inherited some chicks from a relative. I saw coyotes try to get into it many nights, but I feel like the fox is smarter? Plus, our current fox population is very tame. They will walk right up while I'm outside feeding my ducks in broad daylight.

Thanks, all. @ChickensComeHome2Roost, I was actually planning to use 1/4" hardware cloth (that's what my walls and roof are made from too), but I started researching and questioning myself. Thanks for the reassurance.
I understand! I just made a coop back in April and attached a small run for the 6 little chicks I ordered (3 month pullets now )I just finished making them a bigger one but I still need to do a lot to it before I can put them in it (paint it, attach the wire,bury the wire,etc) If If I overlook anything my chickens won't be safe so I'm taking my time!

Back
Top Bottom