Apron question

hockeygirl56

Songster
Apr 21, 2011
Allenton, MI
I've noticed everyone tends to make their aprons around their runs out of hardware cloth. However, we will have a lot of welded wire left over so I was wondering if I can make it out of that. The only issue I can think of would be that by going that route I won't be able to just continue the apron right off what's on the fence like I would with the hardware cloth...it would have to be a separate piece on the ground. I do plan on putting a bunch of rocks on top of the apron regardless so I would think that would solve any issues, but I wanted to get some opinions before we get started...the welded wire would be cheapest, but I want my girls to be as safe as possible...

I ran into a money issue to, and had a lot of left over welded wire fencing....So I made my apron out of the welded wire...and *knock on wood* so far, so good. What I also did was butt the apron up to the fencing and uses zip ties to join the apron to the bottom of the fencing. The main idea, is when the animals feel the wire getting caught on their paws, it will make them loose interest. The I also uses cement blocks to help hold mine down better....

Best Wishes,
hugs.gif
Laura
hugs.gif

Hardware cloth is just welded wire with small openings between the wires. The only issue to consider if you use welded wire with large openings between wires for your apron is what can squeeze through those openings (e.g., a weasel). If the openings are smaller than weasel size, I'd say it's probably fine.

I used the 2" x 4" welded wire and smaller hardware cloth, whatever I had on hand. The 2x4 will stop the larger digging predators. The rest of my run will definitely not stop weasels anyway so I don't worry about them in the apron. To build a larger run that will stop everything just costs too much for me so I do the best I can and go on. We all have different tolerances and pocketbooks.

I use J-clips to connect the apron to the botttom of the run wire. You can also use hog rings or wire. I don't like the zip ties because they become brittle.

The purpose of the apron is so a animal cannot dig thru it. Welded wire is a wonderful skirting since it's strong and easily pulls up if you need to move a panel or fence line, but lays flat enough you can mow over it

Back
Top Bottom